Girls in wrestling at Amador Valley High School

Gianna Ghio, Staff Writer

Girls participating in their high school wrestling team have recently risen in popularity with the numbers rising from 804 in 1994 to 16,562 in 2018. Amador has also seen a lot of growth in our girl’s wrestling team as there were only 2 girls on the team during 2016-2017. Now, that number has almost quadrupled and there are 7 girls on the roster to represent Amador. 

Wrestling is often viewed as a more masculine sport due to the fact that it is male-dominated and includes a lot of physical contacts. However, the girls don’t let this affect them.

“There’s not a lot of girls on the team so it’s typically a boys sport, and it’s not as popular or talked about so people just think it’s not for them, but its starting to become a lot more popular,” said Megan Rovira (‘21).

Just like other sports, wrestling allows the players to be able to participate in the team aspect, but work towards their individual goals as well. On most teams, players are encouraged to work towards the goal of the team instead of playing for themselves, displaying selflessness, which also represents Amador’s culture.

“It’s nice to have an individual aspect as well as a team aspect, I can work towards my own goals as well as the goals of the whole team,” said Mikayla Guevarra (‘20).

Wrestling also allows teammates to be able to have the same long-lasting bond that players from sports such as soccer, basketball, or baseball would have as well. 

I think wrestling pushes you in a way that other sports don’t because it’s a lot of mental training and a lot of physical and you don’t know what’s gonna happen each match,” said Megan Rovira (‘21).

Wrestling provides a great outlet for athletes that want a mental workout as well as a physical one, due to the fact wrestlers rely so heavily on instincts and quick reactions to their opponent’s moves.