Beyond the court: Unveiling the thrilling world of Amador’s Boys Volleyball

Provided by AV Volleyball
The Volleyball team gets ready to receive a serve as they fight for the win.

The athletic world often overlooks some sports. Boy’s volleyball, in many ways, has seen waning popularity in recent times. But, there is a world of discipline, strategy, power, and excitement waiting to be revealed on the court where the Amador Valley’s Boys Volleyball team plays. 

“So, when I was younger in like fifth grade there was a flyer in my elementary school that had like a volleyball camp for like two weeks and I saw and I was I asked my mom ‘hey can I try volleyball’ and after that, I just spiraled and I started playing,” said Volleyball Player Aidan Lam (‘26). 

Varsity players aren’t just seasonal; they’re year-round athletes, hitting the volleyball court outside school too. It’s like other top sports; dedication means playing all year, not just during the season.

Every single player at varsity plays outside volleyball full year round. So they play at a club, not just on the school team. So similar to other major sports, you have to be playing full year round,” said Volleyball Player Ronan Aravind (‘26). 

Touching on the unique physical demands of volleyball emphasizes the importance of athleticism over strength; which is most important for other sports like football. This nuanced approach refers to the specific training required for the sport.

“Volleyball in general, compared to other sports, has less conditioning in terms of physical running, but we train other things like vertex max and vertical jump because you have to be more of an explosive athlete in volleyball compared to more of a brute force athlete in other sports like football,” said Aravind. 

Effective communication during matches is key, as it fosters understanding of on-court dynamics. Practice sessions serve as arenas to gain this skill, enhancing performance during game time.  

“During matches communication is important because we have to talk about what’s going on during the play and during practices we can practice that communication on the court and kind of us for when we play in games,” said Lam.

One difference between volleyball and other sports is that volleyballs court is much smaller than other sports like basketball or soccer. It’s about control and teamwork in a limited space, requiring coordination from the whole team.

“I’d say volleyball, the court is really small compared to other sports. Basketball is a full court, soccer, football, baseball, they’re all like big fields. Volleyball, it’s all about controlling the game and it’s all about keeping the ball in a small space. So the entire team has to be coordinated in that way,” said Aravind. 

Volleyball is truly about teamwork and being in sync with your teammates. 

“Teamwork and communication is probably one of the biggest things. If they don’t play together, they’re going to struggle even if they have more talented players. Communication and volleyball is very important, especially if you’re playing reciever. If the ball is coming toward you, you have to talk on who’s going to be getting that ball. You have to call for your hits. So it’s all a lot of communication on the court,” said Aravind.

“But volleyball, it really depends on the pass and receive. If one of those things is off, you guys are really going to struggle. So it has to be more of a cohesive team effort than just singular play,” said Volleyball Player Ryan Bury (‘26). 

Volleyball’s thrill and enjoyment extend beyond personal preferences. With each point and match being unique, it’s a fun sport to both play and watch, offering excitement every time.

“I think if you’ve ever watched like real volleyball, it’s really exciting and fun. It’s like each point is different, each match so I think it’s just a fun sport to play and watch, especially,” said Lam.