Time to laugh: 6 ways to make your friends smile for April Fools

Rebecca Mestel
Eyebombing is easy. Simply find something that could be a face and add a pair of googly eyes.

With April 1 on the horizon and rapidly approaching, it’s time to begin thinking about ways to prank your friends for the annual day that is April Fools. However, instead of damaging, scarring, and making your friends lose all trust in you, for 2024, try making them laugh instead.

Here are five easy, effective, silly pranks that your friends will be able to reflect on as fond memories.

1. Eye see you

Eyebombing is the act of sticking googly eyes onto objects in public/easily seen spaces to create a face. Simply head to your local craft store, Target, or order some from Amazon and use a bit of tape to apply them to your surface of choice. Try finding objects that naturally look like they could be a mouth, or a nose and mouth combo once eyes are applied. For extra fun, consider extra big googly eyes and stick them to larger targets.

2. Fill a room with balloons

If you have a bit of time on your hands, consider blowing up hundreds of balloons and filling an entire room with them. Then, shut the door behind you and watch all of the balloons spill out when the door is opened again. 

3. Hide bubble wrap under a rug

If your victim friend’s house has a small rug, bathmat, or area rug, consider getting a sheet of bubble wrap to place under it. Each time someone steps on it, they’ll experience the glorious popping of bubble wrap and wonder what could have possibly have made that noise.

4. Bake some ‘brownies’

This prank is, admittedly, a little mean, especially if your target has a sweet tooth. First, take some brown construction paper and cut it out in the shape of a letter “E”. Then, place them inside of a disposable pan (like those you’d typically use for baking) and cover with aluminum foil. Finally, call your friend/family member over and announce that you made brownies. They’ll peel back the foil to find the sweet surprise. Instead of brownies, they’ll be greeted with “brown-e’s”. To make it just a bit more devious, consider melting some chocolate chips in the microwave to make it smell like chocolate.

5. Tape on the bottom of a mouse

This prank is an especially good option if your target is a PC gamer. Take a small piece of tape and cover the sensor on the bottom of their mouse with it. The mouse will stop responding and your victim will be left wondering why they suddenly can’t play their favorite game.

6. Unleash the ducks

Amazon sells 150 small ducks for ten dollars. Once you have obtained the ducks, wait until your target’s back is turned. Then, begin hiding the ducks all over their house. Make some of them super obvious, but others should be pretty difficult to find. Change up the difficulty level in order to stretch out the longevity of the prank. On April 1, they’ll find some of the ducks, but for the rest of the month, they’ll keep finding them, allowing the laughter will continue.