Amador Valley Library & Media Arts Center: A hub of 21st century learning

Zenil Koovejee
The centrally located Amador Valley Library is home to thousands of modern and historic texts to aid students in their academic pursuits.

Amador Valley High School boasts a rich history, and at the heart of its academic landscape lies the Amador Valley Library and Media Arts Center. This modern facility caters to the needs of over 2,700 students, educators, and administrators, providing a dynamic and resourceful environment.

“Our library is a beautiful, open, and elegant environment—a space where students can engage in the learning process,” said AV Librarian Eric Scherer.

A student sanctuary

Within the library’s walls, visitors find vibrant green screens, a high-end laser projector, and adaptable classrooms. A central resource center for the Amador community, the library houses a wealth of resources, from sound rooms to unknown treasures, awaiting exploration.

“We have high-interest non-fiction books, fiction novels, research areas, student-work rooms, cafe tables, a technology center, printing stations, and much more. The library is just such a vital resource for students on campus,” said Scherer.  

Many educators at Amador leverage the library for collaboration, emphasizing its role as a space for intellectual exploration.

“The library offers us the space where students can work interactively. We also use the library for guest speakers. For example, when we bring in Vietnam War veterans, the library is really the only space on campus where they can comfortably engage with students,” said Social Studies Teacher Thomas Dalldorf. 

An epitome for community engagement

Beyond its conventional role, the library serves as the nucleus for pivotal local events. From grand centennial celebrations to intimate question-and-answer sessions with local officials, the library has evolved into a dynamic hub of student-led, community-driven engagement.

“I felt very honored to interview Pleasanton Mayor Karla Brown in the library. It was an extremely enlightening experience, and I feel like other students really appreciated the event,” said AV Student Journalist Leo He (‘25)

When Amador was initially constructed, the library was a humble, compact room hosting around a hundred books. However, in 2002, alongside the construction of the Q building, the grand cathedral-like library was erected, holding the title of the tallest building on campus.

“The library is my haven, my creative space, and my refuge for academic and personal pursuits,” said Mukhil Murugan (‘24). 

Integral to daily academic life, the library seamlessly adapts to diverse student needs, providing resources for projects, printing services, and peer tutoring.

“If I could describe the library in one word, I would say ‘dynamic.’ From AV Bots and Knitting Club to Journalism and DECA, we provide a space for students of all interests,” said Scherer.

A glimpse into the future

Currently, there are ongoing initiatives to modernize the library, like introducing new hours and additional learning resources.

“I have spoken to the administration about keeping the library accessible to students in the afternoon. This way, students can come to the library and take advantage of its resources outside school hours,” said Scherer

In the comprehensive story of Amador Valley, the library emerges as a pivotal educational resource—a space where the past, present, and future converge to facilitate learning and academic growth.