Teachers take students abroad

Every year, teachers take time out of their summer and spring breaks to take a group of students abroad to explore, educate, and nurture a curious outlook on the world.

“My first spring break trip was to the Galapagos with about ten students, so we learned a lot there and it was cool going to the place Darwin had explored,” said Stacey Sklar, Honors Sophomore English, African American Literature, and Competition Civics teacher.

Amador students in all grades are eligible to experience these opportunities. 

Students who are in grades 9-12 are eligible to go. This summer we are going to Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand,” said Jennifer Zuanich, Ethnic Studies and AP Human Geography teacher.

Zuanich and Sklar use these experiences as opportunities to emphasize the importance of knowledge, both historical and cultural, by visiting historical sites, introducing new foods, and traversing exotic landscapes.

“I thought it was really valuable to challenge my own assumptions about what my cultural norms were and learn about what other people do. So it’s really valuable to broaden your perspective. It gives you more empathy for differences,” explained Sklar 

Those who have been on these trips in the past come back with a different view of life due to their newfound knowledge and perspective of the world.  

“Something I learned when attending the trip, was more about different cultures, the rich history, and art,” said Nia Lam (‘26)

• With the aid of a tour guide, students got a memorable experience of the rich history and architecture of Rome’s monumental Colosseum.

• Students stop by a sushi-making class near the Tokyo Tower.

• In Europe, students awakened to the bright mornings and views of Avignon, France before they began an eventful day.

• On their trips, students were in constant activity throughout the day. The luscious greenery and structure designs surrounding Lake Como in Italy allowed them to recuperate before moving on.

Upcoming trips include a round-trip tour of Europe including Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and Slovakia with Zuanich. In addition, Zuanich is leading a Southeast Asia tour to Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand.

Sklar also has trips planned for the future. She will be taking a group of students to South Korea in June of 2025. She is also teaming up with the French department this spring break to take students to the city of Paris. In June, Sklar and her students are visiting the Peruvian Amazon for a scientifically driven trip.

Partnering with EF Educational Tours, students and teachers are in capable hands when it comes to having a safe and easy-going traveling experience in foreign countries. 

“The company Mrs. Zuanich and I partner with has been around for around 56 years. They have home offices on all the continents that people are traveling to, so they are able to offer support and assistance if you need it,” said Sklar.

These student-teacher trips make a significant impact on a young individual’s view of life, and personal experiences, and help to acquire life lessons that students can incorporate in the future.

1
View Comments (1)
$50
$5000

$50
$5000

• T

Toni BalchOct 3, 2023 at 9:33 am

Jennifer Zuanich and all the other teachers. I rarely look at face book and rarely comment on anything. I was a elementary school teacher and now sub for special needs children. What you do for kids who go with you on these wonderful, educational trips are so fortunate.They must learn so much and it shows how important hands on education is.
    Good for you teachers providing your time and efforts to make these possible.
    Toni Balch

Reply