You’re Late: Teachers address tardy and attendance early in the year

Despite the seven-minute passing period allocated by the bell schedule, numerous students encounter challenges in arriving to class punctually.
Zenil Koovejee

With the 2023-24 school year in full swing, attendance and tardy issues have been gaining more attention. To some students and teachers, punctuality and being present plays a vital role in the classroom.

“I think being on time and present in class is an important aspect to a student’s success because for me personally. When I’m on time, it helps me to focus and get in the zone to tackle the new school day. I found that when I’m not on time, I get frustrated, get in a bad mood, and I can’t really focus on what the teacher’s saying in class,” said Joyce Huang (‘25).

The current system is that a student will get detention if they receive more than three tardies. Some teachers have noticed that more faculty members and administration are emphasizing the rule this year.

“I think that the administration has created some bandwidth to actually follow through on the policies. I appreciate that as teachers, we’re not having to go it alone. I think honestly, for the students, it also makes it more consistent. Nobody likes getting in trouble for things, but if everybody knows that the expectation is the same, at least it feels fair,” said Director of Bands Jonathan Grantham.

The morning school rush makes it difficult for students to arrive to class on time. Some teachers understand this issue, but still enforce the importance of promptness.

“I think that because I teach a first period, I try to be patient and understanding. It’s an early hour for students, and I really do think most of my students are trying their best to be here on time. I honestly don’t have too many students that are just skipping the beginning of class, so it’s not too big of an issue,” said Grantham.

Last year, there was a significant decrease in attendance after winter break, and Principal Jon Fey sent out an email on January 10th to address this issue. Though it is still the beginning of the school year, some teachers have observed an increase in attendance rate.

• Students and parents rush to school as they race against the morning bell.

“Last year, it was really tough with the upperclassmen and not so much with the underclassmen. I know we’re just a couple weeks into school this year, but it feels like a little bit better across the board. I feel like at this point last year I was already seeing students fall off the radar and it feels like a little bit better this year, so I’m optimistic,” said Grantham.

While tardiness and attendance issues may be inevitable, some students and teachers make a plan to help them manage their time. They find that it can be beneficial and often aids their tardy issues.

“I think students should do their best to leave their house with enough time to arrive to school or rehearsal at least ten minutes before they are required to be present. I understand that sometimes it is out of the students control how early they arrive to campus, but if they are late consistently, it reflects poorly on them,” said Maria Clara Sapriza-Aguerre (’24).