What to consider when committing to a college

College decision day is approaching quickly on May 1st, making it important for students to commit before the deadline.

Tejasvini Ramesh, AVT Page Editor

With college decision day approaching fast on May 1st, many seniors find themselves confused over choosing a college. Before committing to college, it’s important for students to consider multiple factors to ensure that they make the right decision for themselves.

“Things students might consider are location, distance from home, size of the school, cost of living, scholarships offered, club sports, proximity to airport, city, and amenities, classes within the major, resources available, housing, and diversity, to name a few,” said College and Career Counselor Kimberly Woodworth.

While lifestyle and academics are an important part of the college decision-making process, many students also consider a college’s ranking. 

One of the biggest challenges for students in picking a college, is allowing themselves the space to pick a school that is a good fit for them, rather than being concerned with the comparison of their peers’ future plans or of the prestige of a particular school,” said Woodworth.

In addition to picking a best-fit school, some students recently got off waitlists and now have to start the process over again. Making the best choice involves lots of research, but one of the biggest factors students consider is financial aid, especially since college can be very expensive. 

“Financial aid is important for almost everyone applying to colleges because many institutions raise their tuition and overall cost of attendance each year. When housing and class prices go up, students find themselves applying to schools that cost as high as 80 or 90 thousand dollars to attend each year,” said Mahika Sharma (‘23).

To help students work through factors like cost and academics, Amador’s College and Career Center provides students with resources to make this process easier, allowing students to speak with counselors to make the best decision for themselves. 

“Ms. Wilson and Mrs. Woodworth are here to help students talk through their options and support students in looking up information about the programs they are deciding between,” said Woodworth.

Although the decision-making process can be overwhelming, students have many resources to support themselves and their families. Since college is a stressful transition, many students are worried about whether they will make the wrong choice. 

“Go with your gut. Most schools have many of the same offerings, but you likely have a leaning toward one school over the other. Trust yourself and choose the school that you find is the best fit,” said Woodworth.