How NIL deals affect high school athletes

Shaan Anderson

Senior athletes practice to be the best that they can so they can earn bigger NIL deals in the future.

NIL (Name, Image, and Likeness) deals were created on July 1, 2021, which allows college athletes to make money through their name, image, and likeness. Athletes can now make a name for themselves through social media and publicize themselves to earn endorsements. 

“I think it’s a great way to make money in college for athletes. Typically, athletes couldn’t accept money from schools or any brands in the past, so I think it’s a really cool way to make some money,” said diver Scott Garman (‘23). 

With the introduction of NIL deals, the average earnings per year for student athletes are approximately $5000. They can earn $3000 for posting content, $1500 for public appearances, $500 for interviews, and other activities athletes may participate in.

“I know guys that do that, and they can make a lot of money off just having a lot of followers on Instagram or Twitter or any of those platforms,” said football player Brady Nassar (‘23).

It’s easier for players with bigger platforms to earn deals as they are constantly on national television getting their names out. High school basketball player Bronny James could earn up to 7.4 million dollars through NIL partnerships with Nike and Beats by Dre.

“I feel like if you get a big one like Nike or something like that, you’re definitely getting your name out there for the athletic world,” said Garman

The best way for college athletes to earn NIL deals is to start putting their names out through social media and promoting themselves to big companies to earn sponsorships in the future.

“People don’t understand who you are unless you tell them. You’ve got to explain to them and enroll. Reach out to them,” said Nassar

Amador students can take advantage of the Pleasanton community to boost their name and image. Many local restaurants, bakeries, and stores that can launch the athlete’s NIL profile through more promotion. 

“I think we have a great platform here in Pleasanton and Amador itself. So I kind of use the city itself to use that platform (with) a lot of local restaurants that I could probably reach out to,” said Nassar.

In addition to attracting NIL deals for money, players can help boost businesses that usually don’t receive much traction. Many companies would appreciate the help so they can stay in business. 

“If I like the brand, I can boost the brand through my platform which would be pretty cool, especially if it’s something worth fighting for or something I care about dearly, and I can use my platform to get it out to people,” said Nassar.

Earning NIL Deals will not only help high school and college athletes financially, but boost many skills needed in the future when they get out in the real world. 

“I think it also helps besides football and it brings in some money as a college student. But I think it’ll help me once I graduate with social skills and business skills, being able to market myself and negotiate,” said football player James Rothstein (‘23).