Pleasanton starts the “Shop Small” Campaign, but how are local businesses unique?

Katy Clark

Towne Center Books is selling coffee mugs advertising the Shop Small event, a way to boost small businesses in the area while offering decorative merchandise to fill their shelves.

Katy Clark, Senior Staff Writer

In order to encourage people to shop local and support small businesses, the city of Pleasanton has launched a campaign to “Shop Small” starting on November 26 and extending to December 24. This event was inspired by the American shopping holiday, Small Business Saturday, which is held on the last Saturday of November.

“Small Business Saturday is important because it gives independent businesses sort of a platform that people are aware. It is a time that we can pool our resources to advertise for all local businesses so it is good for the community to know about the shops and stores and restaurants that are right there in their own community,” said an employee of Towne Center Books.

This campaign brings together the community of Pleasanton through advertising, selling merchandise with the titular logo “shop small,” and decorating the square for the holidays to attract citizens.

“The cool thing about small businesses is that they are unique compared to normal bigger chains. Like you would not be able to get the gelato recipe or anything from the freezer at Raley’s,” said Adam Frerich (‘23), a student who works at Almare Gelato.

Some small businesses, like Towne Center Books, have been established on Main Street for over twenty years, opening its doors in 1998. They carry books from all genres and age groups, and are known to order books to sell based on customer requests.

Stores advertise the “Shop Small” campaign in their windows, informing the community about the event. (Katy Clark)

“It is unique to big box stores in the sense that people come in and we can speak to our customers, we get to learn our customers and so some book stores might carry specific books that they have heard about but we try to carry books that our customers like,” said the Towne Center Book employee.

Some shops on Main Street also cater to the children who come in by offering interactive activities while they wait in line or when their parents shop. They also are known for talking and interacting with their customers extensively in order to create a friendly atmosphere.

“During our shop we always hang up flyers for whoever comes in through the community like we sometimes have Firehouse Art Center flyers hanging up or we also have the “Where’s Waldo” in our shop so the kids will come in and look for Waldo,” said Frerich.

The “Shop Small” campaign will help to support and boost small businesses, so they can give back to the community and make room for more jobs on Main Street. Individuals in the community should celebrate this holiday by stopping by a local business and trying out their products and wares, and they might find a new favorite place to shop.