Best in Northern California: Competition Civics wins regionals

The 2021-2022 team poses with the belt proudly outside their classroom, overwhelmed with joy from their first real victory.

Soraia Bohner

Soraia Bohner, Staff Writer

The Amador Valley Competition Civics team continued their win streak on Sunday by beating Foothill with a score 1774-1668, securing their position as regional champions and bringing the Everett “Skip” Mohatt Memorial award home for the first time ever. 

“Months of hard work has finally paid off for our team. The Center for Advancing Civic Education Belt and Mohatt Award serve as tangible results for our efforts,” said Akash Madiraju (‘22).

Both Foothill and Amador will move on to compete in the State Championship Competition in February. Amador has a history of making it to this event, but the team had to fight to come in first This was the first time in several years that Amador has ranked first in Northern California.

“I’m happy that we won regionals. State Competition will be much harder, but I am up for the challenge” said Sanika Newadkar (‘22).

What’s Next?

Amador’s We the People team has already begun preparation for future competitions. Along with advancing their civic knowledge, many members of the team cite team unity as a driving factor behind their win.

We The People is an exemplary program that enables us to not only forge bonds with the founding roots of our country, but also with each other” said Edward Ding (‘22).
There is still a long road ahead for the team, as they hope to make it all the way to the National competition in Washington, D.C. In order to achieve this, they must place first in California.

“My team worked so hard and I’m so proud of them. I’m excited to see how they score at the state level!” said Competition Civics coach Stacey Sklar.

For now, they continue to crank out testimonies and connect with other students who share the same passion for all things government. From discussing political philosophy to debating D.C statehood, these I-9 seniors have already come a long way.