Winter sports try outs: advice from coaches and players

Girls soccer is one of the winter sports with the most athletes who try out.

Thomas Kim, AVT Editor

With winter sports tryouts coming up in the next couple of weeks and many winter sports not having a complete season since 2019, coaches and players wanted to share their advice for new athletes trying out. 

“Athleticism can compliment or hinder ability. Some kids don’t work as hard if things come too easily for them whereas others may work hard because things don’t come easy.  We try to find kids that want to work hard regardless of skill level,” said girls’ basketball coach Dan Sweeney.

Off the field qualities can shadow skill in both a positive and negative way, so it is important to show up ready to learn and grow as an athlete and person. Coaches will always notice a leader who has fun and helps others.

“We always say it’s not ‘work’ basketball, it’s called ‘play’ basketball.  Let’s try our best and be the best at what we can control and do it with a smile and a sense of accomplishment,” said Sweeney.

Not everybody is going to have all of the skills and be a complete player, but it is important to show coaches the positive attributes an athlete can contribute to the team. 

“Focus on showing off your strengths because by the time tryouts come it’ll be too late to work on your weaknesses,” said basketball player Bryce Osaki (‘22).

While skill is important, mentality plays a significant role in how one performs. Getting restful sleep and eating the right foods can help bring a positive mindset that coaches are looking for. 

“I mentally prepare by saying positive things to myself and not putting too much pressure to turn it into a negative experience,” said soccer player Grace Lozano (‘23)

For athletes that do not make the team, it doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world. Many athletes, such as Micheal Jordan, were cut from their team in high school, but that didn’t stop them from achieving greatness.  “Players who don’t make the team should ask themselves if they either love the sport or like the sport…I would say that the kids who love the sport shouldn’t give up. There’s still years for them to grow and mature,” said Osaki.