Review: ‘Hubie Halloween’

Haygen Riley-Gleason

‘Hubie Halloween’ was released on October 7 and is a popular holiday favorite.

Haygen Riley-Gleason, Staff Writer

Truthfully, I never expected quality from this movie. In general, most one off Halloween movies are terrible pieces of garbage, with a few funny moments. They usually consist of low quality jumpscares, bad camera work, and extremely uncomfortable sexual interactions involving young high school students. 

‘Hubie Halloween’ has none of these terrible qualities. In fact, this movie practically broke me. It turned my view of terrible Halloween movies upside down. Many terrible Halloween movies come and go with the years, but one thing is for certain: the creators of ‘Hubie Halloween’ definitely knew what they were doing.

The Spooky Story

The story follows an oddly childish man named Hubie Dubois who lives in the town  Salem. Almost everybody in the town, excluding a few people, bully Hubie relentlessly and make fun of him constantly. However, Hubie is not affected by any violence or insults directed towards him, and chooses to live his life optimistically trying to make those around him happy. The majority of the movie takes place during Halloween, which happens to be Hubie’s favorite holiday. As Hubie volunteers as a “Halloween Guard”, he journeys through the town trying to keep kids from doing stupid things, but encounters seemingly supernatural events along the way.

The Hilarious Humor

Setting the story aside, now it is time to discuss the humor of this movie. In my opinion, the humor is really what makes this movie incredible. The plot is interesting enough, and actually throws you for a couple of loops, but the jokes are what make the movie. They are incredibly well developed and impressively intricate. Most horror movies have small one off jokes or terrible one liners. Occasionally, you might encounter a recurring joke or two. The humor in ‘Hubie Halloween’ is very subtle, and sometimes obvious. For example, a recurring joke throughout the movie is when Hubie is running away or running to something, various objects are thrown at him from off screen. At the beginning of the movie these objects range from eggs to tennis balls to small rocks. But as the movie gradually progresses, the objects get larger and more dangerous. When you reach the 5th play of the joke, Hubie is getting large rocks and basketballs thrown at him. And by the 6th time, Hubie gets both a full sized tuba, and a flaming javelin thrown at him. This shocks the viewer, and adds even more hilarity when Hubie doesn’t seem to care about said objects being thrown at him. 

A Halloween Surprise

Honestly, I wasn’t expecting something this well done for a seasonal Halloween movie that came out in the current year. As I said, it’s usually only old Halloween movies that are good: ‘The Shining’, ‘Friday the 13th’, etc. So if you enjoy cheesy horror movies then this movie is for you.