Club Profile: Mock Trial

Sunny Liu, Senior Editor

For those students that are looking to improve their public speaking skills or to learn more about the law, Mock Trial is the club to check out. Here, students can meet other members that share a passion of law and speaking.

As a club and a team, Mock Trial competes against other schools in cases that they prepare for throughout the year. 

“The way it essentially works is we split up into two squads, so prosecution and defense and we share a case. Then our prosecution will go against another team’s defense and then vise versa. Whoever argues the most convincing case wins,” said the club’s Vice-President Brenna Lonner (‘21).

While it can be a very competitive environment, it is also an extremely rewarding time as members can get real life experience at courtrooms during competitions. Besides being an attorney, members can also choose to be witnesses, artists, journalists, and more. No matter what role members choose, they will be sure to find something worthwhile. 

“You’re really able to get into character and I really feel like when we put on trial, we’re not high school students. We really are legitimate lawyers and these legitimate potential murderers and witnesses that we are supposed to be playing,” said the club President Sujana Sridhar (‘21).

Due to how much work is put into the preparation for competitions which take place every week of February, members of Mock Trial make strong connections with others in the club.

“We’re spending our weekends together, we’re spending our wednesdays together, we’re getting together outside of club hours. We are a family. We have to get so, so, so close because of how much time we spend,” said Lonner.

Not only do squads meet up for hours outside of club hours, but they also hold collective meetings where the entire club helps specific individuals grow as Mock Trial members.

“ We also do a lot of public critiquing. What’s really valuable is when we are all together as a team and we can hyper focus on one person and really help them grow. That’s where we are really able to help new members the best especially, and focus on rewriting speeches and things like that,” said Sridhar.

In order for students to become members and participate in competitions, they must pass tryout processes which include tryouts and callbacks. However, those that do not get in are still welcome to attend meetings.

“ If you ever want to attend a meeting, while we are a competitive team, everyone is welcome to come to meetings if they’re just interested in learning about what mock trial is like or learning about the law,” says the Secretary of the club, Shuchi Parikh (‘21).

Mock Trial is a club where one can immerse themselves in courtroom experiences and knowledge. In addition, members grow an extensive family with the entirety of the club.

Meet the 2020-2021 Officers

Music Credits: https://www.purple-planet.com