The Notorious RBG Makes it Into Theaters Everywhere

Soumya Sahay, Page Editor

regmovies.com

For those who aren’t familiar with politics or the judicial branch, Ruth Bader Ginsburg has been one of the United States’ associate supreme court justices since 1993. Recently, a movie labeled “On the Basis of Sex” was released about her career as a lawyer and her fight for gender equality.

“In this world, we still have inequality towards women, and it’s still present today. Women do not have equal wages to men, and in sports, we see it. This movie would help more people learn about gender equality from a young age,” said Maitrey Sinha (‘21).

There are currently nine supreme court justices representing the judicial branch, and it is currently leading towards the right. Because of Justice Ginsburg’s old age, (85) some are fearful that her liberal perspective will be greatly missed once she is no longer able to serve.

“On the Basis of Sex” was released on December 25, 2018, and stars Felicity Jones as a young Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

In the film, Felicity Jones (left) stars as Ruth Bader Ginsburg (right).

“Having representation is so important because it empowers people, and it helps a lot of people feel strong,” said Jocelyn Zhu (‘21).

The justice has been labeled the “Notorious RBG” because of a biography that was written about her called Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

The movie is majorly about RBG’s career as an upcoming lawyer, but it also features a romantic side with the inclusion of Marty Ginsburg, her faithful husband (played by Armie Hammer). Throughout the movie, Marty is nothing but supportive of Justice Ginsburg and plays an important role in her life. He serves as an example of a healthy relationship, one that is not consumed by gender roles or jealousy.

“In the course of a marriage, one accommodates the other…[he] was the first boy I ever knew who cared that I had a brain,” said Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

The movie is especially inspiring for students to see, as Justice Ginsburg had an intense and rigorous education, receiving her undergraduate degree from Cornell University. She then attended Harvard Law School but received her degree from Columbia Law School. However, the movie shows that earning that education and experience faced her with a lot of discrimination and doubtful people.

“In a lot of movies that you see these days, it’s not super easy to see yourself, even with all the representation that we’re getting in media. With all these movies that we’re seeing recently, like On the Basis Of Sex, it’s very good to see not only people you can relate to, but people who make things happen. It’s one thing to see yourself, it’s another to see someone like you making a difference,” said Dorothy Bostaph (‘20).

Overall, On the Basis of Sex does a good job of displaying Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s intelligence and determination, and is definitely a worthwhile watch.