Weather

• 12 AM
    45 °
  • 1 AM
    45 °
  • 2 AM
    45 °
  • 3 AM
    45 °
  • 4 AM
    44 °
  • 5 AM
    44 °
  • 6 AM
    45 °
  • 7 AM
    48 °
  • 8 AM
    52 °
  • 9 AM
    55 °
  • 10 AM
    59 °
  • 11 AM
    62 °
  • 12 PM
    64 °
  • 1 PM
    65 °
  • 2 PM
    65 °
  • 3 PM
    64 °
  • 4 PM
    62 °
  • 5 PM
    60 °
  • 6 PM
    57 °
  • 7 PM
    54 °
  • 8 PM
    51 °
  • 9 PM
    50 °
  • 10 PM
    49 °
  • 11 PM
    48 °
April 26
62°/ 47°
Patchy rain nearby
April 27
68°/ 45°
Sunny
April 28
66°/ 44°
Sunny
Amadors Powderpuff team regroups after the exciting game.
Amador faces Foothill in annual Powderpuff football game
Eva Grove, Amadon Sports Editor • April 26, 2024

On Saturday, April 20th, Amador hosted their annual Powderpuff game against their cross-town rivals. The game is held every April to raise money...

The Wellness Center, located in the library, is an excellent resource for anyone who needs help managing stress.
Stress awareness month: Tips to mitigate stress with finals fast approaching
Rebecca Mestel, AVT Features Editor • April 26, 2024

With finals and AP tests on the horizon, it’s no secret that April is a pretty stress-inducing month. However, this is why it also makes sense...

Cricket has been explosive sport even in America, giving rise to many youth teams across the country.
From pitch to profit: How India bowled over the world with an IPL revolution?
Zenil Koovejee, Editor in Chief • April 25, 2024

In the scorching Indian summer, amidst the cacophony of cheering crowds, vibrant team jerseys, and the crack of the bat, the Indian Premier League...

Deep sea scans might solve aviation’s greatest mystery

Reedhima Ahuja
Dozens of books have been written on Earhart’s disappearance. Could this solve this age-old mystery?

In 1937, Amelia Earhart set off to become the first female aviator to fly around the world. Her disappearance during the flight has become one of the infamous mysteries of the 20th century. Now, the private exploration company Deep Sea Vision has found the most promising lead in 87 years. 

Prior to this flight, Earhart already had many records under her belt. In 1932, she became the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic; in 1935, the first to fly solo across the Pacific. In June of 1937, Earhart and her navigator, Fred Noonan, began their attempt to circumnavigate the Earth. Had she succeeded, she would have been the first woman to complete this journey. 

“She’s an icon for women’s rights, proving women can achieve anything men can do,” said World History teacher Christopher Murphy. 

The most critical part of their flight was the segment from Lae, New Guinea, to Howland Island, a tiny piece of land in the Pacific little more than a mile across. During their approach, the plane lost radio contact and vanished. 

“A lot of people who were inspired by her were probably very agitated by her disappearance,” said English teacher Stacey Sklar.  

The fate of Earhart’s flight has become one of the most fascinating mysteries in history, as her remains are yet to be found. The theories spawned range from capture by the Japanese to her and Noonan being stranded on an island. 

“I am sure that Earhart’s disappearance at that time must have been seen as being suspicious, because here’s her trying to challenge the status quo,” said Murphy

In 2024, Deep Sea Vision, a private exploration company, detected a plane-like image on the ocean floor near Howland Island. The image’s dimensions match up with Earhart’s plane; the Lockheed Electra. 

“The discovery of her plane could be quite groundbreaking. Who knows what other questions it might answer?” said Amy Yang (‘25).

It has yet to be determined if the findings are in fact Earhart’s plane. Many experts believe that the image could be nothing more than a peculiar ocean formation. Even if it is an airplane, it’s not necessarily Earhart’s legendary plane. Some think it could be a Japanese plane that crashed near the island during World War II.

“I would hope her plane being found would solve some of the mysteries behind her disappearance. Maybe it will lay some of the rumors to rest,” said Sklar

Deep Sea Vision has plans to take close-up pictures to determine the authenticity of their find. If the images turn out to indeed be of the plane, this could be the biggest step to solving one of aviation’s greatest mysteries.