Donversity Committee begins planning Donversity week & events

Aileen Hu
The Donversity Committee started meeting every week since the end of Semester 1 to begin planning the week-long event.

As February approaches, the Donversity Committee accelerates its pace in preparing for Donversity week. This year, the team looks forward to including more diverse groups from campus to reach wider audiences. 

“Donversity started several years ago with the help of the previous administrators. It is so important because it helps celebrate the diversity at our school. Sometimes, minority groups at our school don’t get a chance often to express themselves. This gives them the platform to do that,” said AV Leadership Advisor, Shawn Weber. 

The committee meets regularly to discuss how they want Donversity to look this year. The AV leadership team is in charge of many crucial planning decisions and events. 

“Leadership is in charge of three different committees, the biggest one is for the rally. Every Thursday, we have a meeting at the library at lunch with all the committees. And we have break out meetings throughout the week. There’s approximately 20-25 leadership students involved,” said Weber. 

The leadership students who are part of the committee focus on coordinating with student groups on campus and managing organizational tasks. 

Each individual committee team also has their own meetings throughout the week. (Jocelyn (Hsin-Chiao) Hsu)

“Leadership started planning for Donversity since mid-early December. Mostly we’ve been working on posters for the rally and organizing all the clubs and groups that are performing,” said Taylor Cohn (’25).

To include a wider range of cultures and increase student involvement, the committee plans to introduce more cultural foods and activities during Donversity week. 

“This year, we’re really focusing on incorporating different aspects of culture. Not just the performances and the rallies, but we also want to do lunch time activities that can incorporate traditions and culinary aspects, as well as showcasing the art during the art show. Just making sure there’s a holistic view of different cultures,” said Kacie Hu (’24), ASB president. 

This year, the Donversity week will be held from Feb 20 to Feb 23.  Though the structure will remain similar to last year’s, there are many new performances to look forward to. 

“I feel like the celebration remains largely the same in terms of how the week plays out. However, it’s really our focus on enhancing what we’ve done in the past. We created a new social media account, so everyone can know about Donversity and recognize what leadership and journalism and all the other clubs put in,” said Hu.