All or nothing: Mai Falcone (‘26) trains to play collegiate softball

Alyssa Vu
Mai Falcone (’26) is a top prospect for collegiate softball.

Ever since she was six years old, Mai Falcone (‘26) had been set on pursuing collegiate softball. The dirt, the excitement, the cheering, the stadium lights—Falcone loved it all. Encouraged by her parents and older brother to take on the sport, Falcone soon began dedicating endless hours to softball. 

“My brother, Tai, inspired me to play. I would always go to his games and he would help me when we practiced. I liked softball right away, and my parents sacrificed a lot to help fuel my passion by always taking me to practices and training almost every day,” said Falcone.

Falcone was a tri-sport athlete up until 2023. She played softball, wrestled, and ran cross country, once again drawing inspiration from her brother. However, softball always held a special place in her heart.

“My brother encouraged me to run cross country and pick up wrestling since he was in those sports, so I did, and I really enjoyed them. But I decided to pursue softball because I really liked the competitiveness and how there was more of a team aspect to it,” said Falcone

The Recruiting Journey

Falcone began reaching out to colleges in eighth grade. She sent college coaches her highlight videos, tournament schedules, and updates on her academic and athletic skills, eventually receiving invitations to their camps. 

“I usually got emails from schools that I had previously emailed. I feel really excited and proud when I hear back from college coaches or get invited to camps because it feels like all of my hard work is paying off,” said Falcone.

Falcone plays for All American Sports Academy, a competitive fastpitch softball team based out of Tracy, California. With her team, she has traveled all around the country to play softball and attend college camps. 

“Quite a few colleges come out to watch my team and I play at tournaments. It’s kind of nerve wracking, but I know I should trust my skills and be confident in my abilities. I also practice throughout the week to refine my skills and prepare for my tournaments,” said Falcone.

Though Falcone broke her ulna in the 2023 Colorado Sparkler Championship game, she did not give up on her dream of playing collegiate softball. During her break, she worked on her mental game and trained to return strong for her fall season.

“I got hit by an inside pitch at the peak of a competitive championship game in Colorado. I was a bit bummed when I found out I had to take a break from playing softball, but I knew that shouldn’t keep me from working hard,” said Falcone.

• Falcone swings at the ball with accuracy, impressing spectators and recruiters.

• Falcone dives for the ball, proving her determination and drive.

Behind the Scenes

A student athlete is expected to make sacrifices in order to reach the next level. Falcone learned how to adapt to the challenges and excel during her most crucial stage of collegiate recruiting and academics.

“Managing my time and juggling school and athletics has been tough because I highly value both. Because of that, I’ve had to sacrifice a lot like going to school events and hanging out with friends, but I hope everything will pay off in the end,” said Falcone.

Falcone stays busy year-round. She practices softball or works out almost every day all while striving to do her best in the classroom. 

“Usually in the morning, I’ll wake up, do homework, and get a workout in. Then I go to school, try to get as much homework done as I can during classes, and go to practice after school,” said Falcone.

Through years of hard work, Falcone not only grew athletically, but also as a well-rounded individual. Softball helped her learn several life lessons through every battle she overcame.

“I think I’ve matured mentally. I have been able to learn and move on from my failures in softball instead of just dwelling on them. I also support my teammates when they’re not feeling well or if they are struggling,” said Falcone.

The Road Ahead

Falcone’s ultimate goal is to play at the collegiate level while receiving an excellent education. Through her character-building experiences in softball, she hopes to carry those lessons and apply them to her daily life.

“All of the lessons I’ve learned from softball helped develop me into the person I am today. It’s taught me how to be hardworking, well rounded, be better at time management, and dealing with adversity. I hope to help people when I’m older, and I think a lot of that passion comes from my experiences playing softball,” said Falcone.