Movie review: Wish: One-hundred years of Disney magic

Rebecca Mestel
Star, the loveable, wish-granting star, instantly begins to cause mischief.

As the Walt Disney Company celebrates its one hundredth anniversary, animators and imagineers alike came together to create the movie “Wish.” Disney’s newest film works to encompass one hundred years of Disney spirit, history, and magic. 

Disney’s “Wish,” released on Nov. 22, shares magic with audiences across the globe. Through its loveable protagonist Asha (Ariana DeBose) and her goat sidekick Valentino (Alan Tudyk), the storyline captivates viewers. 

About the Story

The movie opens in the kingdom of Rosas, an idyllic island in the Mediterranean sea. Rosas is quickly established as a safe haven for those seeking to live their best lives. This is shown through Asha’s lively song and dance number “Welcome to Rosas.” Asha explains how King Magnifico, a powerful sorcerer/leader of Rosas, collects the wishes in order to keep people safe.

However, not all is quite as peaceful as it seems. Asha discovers that King Magnifico should not be a revered and loved figure at all. Despite Magnifico’s promises of granting the wishes he collects, Asha finds that the majority will never be granted. Behind Magnifico’s reasoning is his fear of sparking an uprising against him. 

Taking matters into her own hands, Asha makes a wish, calling down a literal star to assist her. Asha rallies her friends, unexpected allies, and Valentino to join in her quest against Magnifico.

Conclusion

During the span of the movie, dozens of Disney easter eggs are incorporated. Asha’s friends, for example, all share similar mannerisms, first initials, and color palettes to the seven dwarfs from “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.” Beloved Disney characters, like Peter Pan, from the movie of the same name, make short cameos. At another point, Asha’s cloak even very closely resembles that of Cinderella’s Fairy Godmother. 

“Wish” showcases the everlasting Disney themes of working together, perseverance, faith, trust, and pixie dust during its ninety-five minute run time. While not the longest Disney movie ever created, “Wish” perfectly utilizes every second to share the Disney magic with viewers young and old. 

• King Magnifico (voiced by Chris Pine) perfectly embodies the spirit of a Disney villain, with songs like “At All Costs” and “This Is The Thanks I Get?!”

• Valentino provides the role of comedy relief during the film, with witty quips and sarcastic comments sprinkled throughout.