Food Review: Favorite Halloween candies ranked by AV students

Lauren Tran
Sour Patch Kids comes in many different colors and flavors.

With Halloween right around the corner, it is time to resume the endless debate over the best candies and treats. Ranging from sour candies to sweet chocolate, there are loads of treats that catch peoples’ eyes. 

A survey was sent out to Amador students asking them about their favorite Halloween candy. The survey included ten popular candies during Halloween: Resse’s Peanut Butter Cups, Sour Patch Kids, Twix, Snickers, Candy Corn, Kit Kat, Starburst, Skittles, Swedish Fish, and Milky Way. Of all the options, students tended to choose Twix, Sour Patch Kids, and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups as their favorite Halloween candies.

Most popular Halloween candies

Twix (19 out of 37 votes) 

Twix is a velvety, sweet chocolate bar many look forward to, especially during the Halloween season. With its crunchy wafer and gooey caramel layer covered in smooth chocolate, there is no question as to why people love Twix. Throughout the year, Twix is available at most grocery stores, generally located near the register or in the candy aisle. A Twix chocolate bar comes in a pack of two cookies and retails for $1.39. The Mars company that owns Twix sells a large bag of “fun” sized Twix for Halloween. This candy bag is typically sold for $6-10 depending on the size. 

Sour Patch Kids (8 out of 37 votes)

“Sour. Sweet. Gone,” is the slogan of  Sour Patch Kids, a sour gummy candy. Its acidic exterior and chewy interior make for a perfect and addicting treat. Sour Patch Kids was first introduced to the U.S. in 1985 and quickly became popular because of their name and shape. Their notable qualities were inspired by a pop culture group, the Cabbage Patch Kids. 

Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups (6 out of 37 votes)

Resse’s Peanut Butter Cups, having been around since 1928, is a common candy that is available in nearly any convenience or grocery store. It has a smooth chocolate coating and a salty peanut butter filling. Over the years, Reese’s has expanded and experimented with different packaging and shapes to fit the holidays, and it is still popular today. 

Conclusion

Halloween is a fun Holiday many look forward to. Whether it may be fun costume parties, watching scary movies, or going trick or treating, candy is known for making Halloween even better. Amador Students seem to have their decision made on their favorite candies, but many people have different tastes and tend to reach for certain candies that satisfy their sweet tooth. Whatever the case, it is clear that Amador students tend to believe Twix is the best Halloween candy.

• Common candy bars are often sold with each other, especially for occasions such as Halloween.

• Twix is sold in various packs and sizes and is a staple in most stores.

• The candy, Reese’s, was altered from its original shape and packaging to fit the Halloween spirit.

• Numerous bags of treats fill the candy aisle in Safeway.