PUSD’s annual harvest dance allows for inclusivity and community

This year, Amador hosted the Harvest Dance on Oct. 27. The annual dance was an opportunity for all of PUSD’s special-ed students to unite, celebrate, and enjoy time together.

The event was held in Amador’s Large Gym and was attended by many students. (Anjali Bemarkar)

“It’s a great experience for the students that are attending because they don’t get a lot of opportunities typically to attend events like this, especially like formal dances and stuff, and just an event to have fun, especially right before Halloween,” said Amador’s leadership advisor Shawn Webber

This year, students from Amador Valley High School, Alisal Elementary, Foothill High School, Hart Middle School, and Village High School were welcome to attend. The leadership classes at all of the schools worked together to organize the dance. They pick out decorations, music, games, and other fun activities for the students to do. 

“It was like a mix of basing it off of last year and then kind of improvising and doing new things,” said Zahra Alami (26’).

The leadership team believes that everyone should be able to experience the same events as other kids, and as such, created this event.

“I think they can enjoy the same activities that everyone else can,” said Alami.

Students thoroughly enjoyed many of the offered games. (Anjali Bemarkar)

The annual Harvest Dance promotes inclusivity and fun. Additionally, it allows the whole community to pitch in more, form connections, and learn how to work with different types of people. 

“It gives [the community] a chance to interact with a population of students that they normally wouldn’t get to. For them, it’s an opportunity to help contribute and to sort of give back to the community,” said Webber.

Ultimately, this event is a wholesome, considerate, and kind amalgamation of the efforts of the Pleasanton community, staff, and students. Their time and energy created a space for those who might not be able to have the “typical” high school experience.