Amador’s Orchestra and Choir Fall Concert unites the Amador Friends of Music community

Lauren Tran
Parents and guardians gathered to watch their child play in the fall concert.

On Oct. 24 in the AV multipurpose room, the Amador Valley Choir and Orchestra performed a series of songs at the annual fall concert. This concert brings together the Amador community and showcases the student’s work.

“I’m not a part of the choir or orchestra, but I know a lot of members put in a ton of work. So it’s nice to see them being able to play and show their hard work,” said Joyce Huang (‘25).

In the fall concert, four groups performed, including all three levels of orchestras and choir. 

“The three orchestras are based on skill and grade levels. There’s a string orchestra, usually for freshmen and two symphony orchestras that you audition to get into,” said Sunny Moon (‘25).

Along with the concert, the Amador Friends of Music held a cake auction and fundraiser at the fall concert. Students and parents were allowed to vote and auction on treats to win prizes.

“[The fundraiser] is actually the first ever event that we’re having. Mrs. Durbin’s idea was to raise money for choir and orchestra, so this is our first cake auction here. Our choir and orchestra are trying to raise funds so that they can have more enrichment, instrument and vocal coaches, vocal coaches, and field trips,” said Amador Friends of Music Vice President of Communications Soo-jin Hwang.

Members of the orchestra and choir have been preparing for this concert since the beginning of the school year. Although it was an enduring process, many looked forward to displaying their work to their parents.

“My favorite part about performing this concert was showing the parents the potential of our orchestra right now because this is our first concert and it’s important to showcase what we have learned and what we can do,” said Anika Kaushik (‘25).

The fall concert has a rich history filled with an abundant amount of memories that embody the Amador spirit. This annual production also serves as a way for students to build a stronger bond. 

“I think this concert can be important in connecting Amador within the students themselves. Because we hear and watch each other perform and know the hard work that goes into this concert. And for the parents, it shows them our success. With the rest of the Amador body, music connects everyone, so it’s easy to connect Amador and the student body,” said Kaushik.