Amador celebrates Red Ribbon Week with its annual Spirit Week

Aileen Hu
Tiny twisted ribbon pins were distributed to students on the first day of Red Ribbon Week.

This year, Amador celebrated Red Ribbon Week from Oct. 23 to 27. The week is an awareness campaign for students regarding the use of tobacco, alcohol, and other drugs. 

“I’ve participated in Red Ribbon Week since I was in elementary school. Every year, I learn more about the dangers and other information about the issue. I think this week is important to bring awareness and prevent drug issues for impressionable young students. I know I’m appreciative of being exposed to the dangers of the issue starting at a young age,” said Milo Evans (‘24).

Red Ribbon Week began in 1988 as a tribute to Enrique Camarena, a Drug Enforcement Administration agent killed by drug traffickers. This nationwide campaign is organized by the National Family Partnership, a non-profit organization. 

“Learning about the history of Red Ribbon Week made me even more aware of its importance. The history is tragic and I think it’s important for everyone to be aware of it. I think it adds another important perspective that there are dangers of drugs beyond the mere use of them,” said Kriti Gaur (‘24).

Throughout Red Ribbon Week, students engage in various daily activities. The activities include receiving a red ribbon pin, answering trivia questions, contributing to a pledge wall, wearing red attire, and participating in a scavenger hunt. Many of these activities had incentives, such as chances to win prizes like free pizza and other giveaways.

“I think offering prizes serves as an incentive for students to learn more about the issue. Even if  they mostly just want the prizes, the learning is still taking place. I consider it essential to provide these opportunities to high school students. Especially given that this is when they are first exposed to the complex issue of drugs,” said Gaur (‘24).