Amador takes a poll for International Walk and Roll to School Day

Caleb Hong
Gauri Chawla (’24) gives out juice boxes and fig bars for the Walk and Roll event.

Every student dreads drawing themselves out of bed, brushing their teeth, and choosing their outfit for the day. But an often overlooked part of the student’s morning routine is the trip they take to school.

“More people should find a different way to get to school, other than driving their cars. I know a lot of people live close but they’re too lazy to ride their bike or walk,” says Daniel Cruz (‘24).

Every October, there’s International Walk and Roll to School Day. This year, Amador celebrated the day by setting up a stand in front of the library on Oct. 4th with stickers, snacks, and trinkets for students who walked or biked to school that day. Countless students gathered around the table to mark their methods of transportation to school on a tally board using stickers. 

“We ran the event because we wanted to get a poll of how many students were walking or rolling to school and we wanted to encourage people to continue using environmentally friendly transportation like biking or walking to school,” said event organizer Gauri Chawla (‘24).

Chawla handed out juice boxes and bars as a reward for participating, drawing over 500 students to the booth. The tally continued up until the first period bell rang. And by then, it was clear that most students drive to school.

“I thought [the poll and stand] was well put-together and demonstrated the issues of the majority of students going to school by car well,” said Cruz.