AV Girls Bathroom Mural Re-Painted

Airi Pan ’18 has been working hard to restore the peeling mural in the girls bathroom.

Katalina Garber and Soumya Sahay

Throughout the week of May 7th, AV student Airi Pan (’18) was repainting the doors of the girl’s bathroom outside of the J building. The beautiful mural was a painting of deep blue waters, and the seven wonders of the world.

As the T.A. for Mr. Doyle, her job, beginning in March, has been to repaint the murals in the girls’ bathroom.

“I’m incredibly lucky that Airi Pan is my T.A. and just one of the best artists that [has] ever walked the halls of Amador. So, I took advantage of her skills, and she’s just doing an incredible job repairing them,” said Michael Doyle, one of the art teacher’s here at Amador.    

The paint on the doors has been deteriorating for months now, and people in the restroom have been picking it off the doors, and carving images and profanity into the fragile surface.

When visitors come to Amador, a broken-down painting in the bathroom might set the wrong impression about the school itself. Replenishing that perishing image shows that our school cares about it impression, and about its clean reputation.  

“I think that obviously having profanity on the school isn’t that great, but at the same time, I think it’s kind of disheartening to know that kids would scratch away the painting. I would be drawing and painting, and then two days later I’ll find that someone scratched over it again,” said Pan.

The very same painting that is being repainted now in 2018 was also repainted in the year 2014, by a student with the first name of Sam. Students can see the initials of all previous painters displayed on the lower right corner of the largest stall.

“These murals really are a gift from some of Amador’s best artists to the entire student population. It’s just an opportunity for Amador students for years and years to have a chance to see something beautiful,” said Doyle.

The bathroom mural should be complete by the end of the school year so students should go and check out the restored art done by generations of Amador artists.

Throughout the years, the mural in the girls bathroom has been scraped up; now, however, it is slowly becoming restored thanks to Pan ’18.