Juniors celebrate 1920s day with historical festivities

Ritika Ghosh

Megan Jagoe (’24), along with the participating junior class, captured the spirit of the Roaring 20’s through their performance of the Charleston Dance by dressing up in classic 1920s apparel.

On Nov. 18, Amador Valley juniors brought the Roaring 20’s to life on campus. Practicing for over a month, juniors dressed up and put on a show by dancing to the famous Charleston Dance at lunch. 

“This day is all about bringing us back in time in American history and just reliving the 1920s. Our history classes have been learning about the 1920s, the Prohibition Era, women’s rights, sports mania and all the fun stuff,” said Megan Jagoe (‘24)

History teachers decked out in costumes to support their students. They also decorated their classrooms to look like classic 20s speakeasies, allowing students to fully immerse themselves in the era. 

“Our 1920s day is a way for us to celebrate a time in our country’s history where barriers were broken and where youth came together to roar,” said history teacher Jill Battilega.

The long-held tradition of celebrating 20’s day has been downsized this year as traces of the pandemic and its consequences still remain.

“Normally we’re in the big gym and we have this huge extravaganza where we bring back America of the 1920s, but unfortunately, some of our supplies were gotten rid of because of COVID. This year, we weren’t able to do the whole thing but we were still able to have our dance,” said Jagoe.

This celebration not only allows students an opportunity to dress up and get involved, but it also offers juniors a break from their usual studies during a time that is especially stressful for them. 

“I think that junior year is so academic that it’s important to give juniors an opportunity to sparkle a little bit and roar in the 1920s,” said social studies teacher Sarah Murray.

For juniors, 20’s day gave them something to look forward to as well as something nonacademic to focus on. Despite the setbacks, the long-held tradition of celebrating a time of breaking boundaries lives on at Amador. 

“We had the biggest group we’ve ever had participating. There were over 100 kids in the large gym for the last 15 minutes of lunch for about a month for 3-4 days a week, just learning and practicing the routine. We had 4 or 5 girls up in the front, myself included, choreographing the dance and it was just really fun,” said Jagoe.