History classes start preparations for Charleston Dance and 20s Day

Grace Huang

Juniors pack the small gym to learn from the choreographers in the front.

The junior history classes began preparing for 20s Day by practicing for the Charleston Dance. Many students showed up in the small gym for the first practices that took place this past week.

“The goal of the dance is to get the junior class to unite over something fun and to relate more to the crazy energy that existed during the 1920s. (It’s) something the students can relate to, being young and having fun,” said Dalldorf.

Some students have also stepped forward in helping to choreograph the dance. They drew on the inspirations from the actual Charleston Dance by picking out moves and piecing them together. 

“I decided to help choreograph the dance because it seemed really fun. I teach children’s theater, so it’s really similar to what I do already, and I expect the practices to go really well since a lot of people have shown up in the first two days. We already have about 40 seconds of the dance done,” said Sruthi Kumar (‘24).

The crowd of juniors in the gym matched the lively energy of the Roaring 20s. Students brought their friends with them to have a good time while learning something new.  

“I look forward to having a fun time with my friends and also seeing how loud Mr. Dalldorf can scream (over the students). I think performing will be chaotic, but I’m excited to see how it’s going to turn out,” said Srikala Munukutla (‘24).

Students who participate in the dance can earn up to ten points extra credit. Many showed up to practice for this reason, but not without bringing their enthusiasm and energy.

“I think it’s a good bonding activity, and it’s fun for me because I’ve always liked dance. I think that if we can learn different eras of dance, we can see the world in a better light,” said Camden Nauroth (‘24).

Due to Covid, 20s Day hasn’t been held in two and a half years. Participating in the dance gives students an opportunity to come together and do something they haven’t been able to do the past few years. 

“The Charleston is that moment we can bring the junior in a unifying way after the Pandemic. It’s fun to see kids working together to do something in an environment that teaches them about the 1920s,” said Dalldorf.