Everything you missed at the 2022 Fall Sports meeting

Joseph Chiu

Athletes and parents split into “breakout rooms” according to each sport after everyone gathered in the MPR to discuss fall sports in 2022.

Joseph Chiu, Staff Writer

Amador held a fall sports and summer camps orientation for students and parents on May 10 at 7:00pm in the Multipurpose Room. Coaches and coordinators were able to give a breakdown of the sports at Amador, the registration process, and information regarding fundraisers and summer camps.

Fundraising is a crucial part for a successful season since there is no money being given to the athletic department from the district. Everything that is financially covered throughout the season needs to be fundraised by each program.

“[The meeting gave] them information on how to get guys signed up and why the volunteering contributions [are] so important, because everything is self-funded. If we don’t pay for volunteering contributions, there’s no money for referees, coaches, or transportation,” said Alphonso Powell, Coordinator of Operations

A key component of the meeting was spreading the message that there are summer programs and camps for certain sports. The fall sports’ season starts before school starts, so summer camps will give a jumpstart to strengthen skills and team chemistry. 

“[Aside from training], there’s going to be two camps [for football]: a skills camp for 3rd grade through 8th grade [on] June 6, 7, and 8. Then we have a quarterback and wide receiver camp [on] June 26, 27, and 28. Those will both be on the field. We have our captains help coach and my staff as well,” said Varsity Football Head Coach Danny Jones

Athletes got a chance to meet with coaches and had small discussions with parents after the large group meeting in the MPR. Each sport later split into different classrooms to have in-depth discussions about the scope of the season and questions they may have for coaches. 

“[Meeting the coach] was good because I didn’t know who he was and I didn’t know his history. Things went well [and] I think he’s going to be a good coach. I think it’s important [for incoming freshman] because they’re really unsure coming in, so I think this [meeting] gave them more confidence and comfort going into a sport,” said Water Polo Player Joshua Asturias (‘23). 

View the slideshow that was presented at the meeting for any information needed. Scan the following QR Code to put your athlete on the contact lists if not already completed. Key dates, registration processes, contact information, and more are listed on the AVHS Athletics page, along with the Athletic Coaches Contact Sheet + Summer Program Dates.