Tips for staying healthy in college and beyond

Sarah Yang, Infographics Editor-in-Chief

There are many different strategies that can be used to maintain overall health that are not limited to those listed. (Sarah Yang)

Senioritis season has arrived. As many seniors are committing to colleges for the coming fall, it is indeed exciting; however it is important to stay healthy as teens learn independence. Besides just staying physically healthy, college is quite strenuous, so is it increasingly important to maintain mental health as well.

Physical health

Exercise is important, which is easy to do if you don’t feel like going off campus. Many college campuses have gyms that are included in the tuition; students should utilize this opportunity and set a schedule to go to the gym consistently. Additionally, even if students are not D1, D2, or D3 athletes, they can still play intramural sports. Those are recreational, not stressful, and a good way to make friends.

Another way to stay healthy is going off campus to exercise. Most schools have hiking trails or some sort of nature around them like the beach. An easy way to keep active is doing an outdoor activity, such as hiking, surfing, or swimming in a lake. Not only is it exercise, but at the same time it’s a fun opportunity to spend time with friends. 

Staying healthy does not only revolve around exercise though, it is important to eat healthy as well. Because it may be difficult for college students to buy groceries and cook, buying fruits on campus is much easier. Eating fruits is tasty, healthy, and should be a habit everyday. Students can buy fruits on campus from mini super markets and dining halls. Some good fruits include oranges, apples, bananas, and grapes. 

Mental health

One way to increase mental health is meditation. Meditation is simple, effective, and increases calmness and mindfulness. Students should set a certain time each day to meditate, such as right before going to bed, in the morning when they wake up, or after lunch. Meditation is also quick since it only has to take up a few minutes each day. There are several ways to meditate such as focusing on spiritual aspects or repeating specific mantras. 

Additionally, a fun way to relieve stress is buying a pop-it or stress ball. While designed to release tension within the muscles, they are cheap, cute and readily available. These toys are small enough to carry around and can help in high stress or anxiety situations, keeping mental health regulated.

Lastly, an important way to improve mental health is to be appreciative. Being appreciative increases happiness, which is what everyone hopefully strives  to be. Everyday when you wake up, try listing three things you are grateful for and repeat this practice  at night.

Always remember

Keeping and practicing some of these habits can be the key to staying healthy in college. It is important to have a good balance between physical health and mental health as both are necessary for a thriving life.

• Using pop-its and stress balls are fun and easy ways to release short term stress and anxiety.

• Eating fruits and playing sports are both great ways to maintain physical health.