Analyzing the teacher strike authorization

Graham McBride

Teachers rallied on Oct. 14, Oct. 26, and Oct. 28 outside of board meetings, making posters and chanting the slogan “Pleasanton students deserve the best”.

Elyssa Lieu, AVT Editor-in-Chief

The Association of Pleasanton Teachers (APT)’s press release on October 14 set off waves in the community after confirming a potential teachers’ strike. Contract negotiations have been ongoing for almost half a year now, and there continues to be disagreement between the APT and the district.

“Pleasanton students deserve the best and we hope that district management recognizes that we provide the high level of education PUSD prides itself on. The sacrifices, effort, and the above and beyond work that we continue to do should not just be met with occasional words of appreciation, but with actions that truly support our students and give us a fair return for the work that we have done and continue to do,” said APT President Michelle VerKuilen

Considerations like the skyrocketing cost of insurance, normal class sizes of around 20 to 30 students, and the infamously high inflation rate in California lie behind the APT’s campaign for benefits like medical insurance, an increased cost-of-living adjustment (COLA), better teaching conditions, and more.

“Almost two-thirds of our members do not feel respected by their employer and do not feel heard by management… Pleasanton educators are the reason Pleasanton Unified has been a destination district… [but now,] Pleasanton educators feel disrespected and devalued,” said VerKuilen during the October 28 board meeting

The negotiations switched to a state of impasse in July, meaning that a Public Employment Relations Board (PERB) mediator was included at all meetings that took place after to bring the APT and PUSD closer together. 

On Tuesday, October 26, the APT bargaining unit and the district representatives testified in a process called fact-finding. After 16 hours at the table, the meeting ended at 12:45 AM with no agreement reached. 

Students have worried about the possibility of having to return to remote learning during the strike.

“Falling back behind on my work [is one of my worries going back online], because I feel like when I was at home, I was able to have a lot of free time and I wasn’t really paying attention to my work. Being here at school helps me focus a lot more,” said Savana Robles (‘24).

The district’s original offer on August 17 involved a 2% one-time salary schedule increase for 2020-2021, a 2% ongoing salary schedule increase for 2021-2022, improved stipends, and up to 15 years of service credit to new hires. Their revised offer on October 28 is rewritten to offer a larger ongoing salary increase and bigger stipend, among other changes.

On October 26, teachers, students, and parents alike gathered to show support as fact-finding continued. (Linda Boveda)

“We know that teachers care about their students, and we know that they care about doing a good job. We know all of those things, and we, too, want the best for our students. We believe that we have negotiated in good faith and made a good offer, and I hope they’ll consider it,” said board president Joan Laursen.

PERB’s public report assessing the situation will be published this Friday. Depending on what it says, teachers are allowed to begin a strike 48 hours after they notify the district. This means the earliest a strike could take place would be next week. There will be a prior announcement beforehand to alert students and other members of the community.

“[It’s the] concept of a Learning Continuity Plan, what do you do when there’s a disaster, how do you keep people engaged in learning, etc. That’s what we’re working on right now… [and] we would look toward that plan as a way to try to address [a potential strike]. Like I said, it’s not my goal to see that happen. But we would be irresponsible to not plan for it, especially when people are saying that they’re going to do it. We have to be responsible,” said PUSD superintendent Dr. Haglund.