School sports that are coming back and exactly when we’ll be seeing them

Sports are finally able to start up again with the recent shift in tiers for Alameda county.

David Cease, Segments Editor

With things slowly opening back up as the number of people vaccinated increases, sports are a privilege that students can begin to participate in again. The season began with Purple Tier sports such as cross country, swimming & diving, golf, and tennis. Sports in the Red Tier like Baseball, Softball, Girls Lacrosse, Track, and Football are also starting. Registration for Boys & Girls Soccer, and Boys Lacrosse is now open. Athletes are only permitted to participate in one Red Tier sport at a time. 

Boys Lacrosse has tryouts on April 5th at 6PM on the AV Football Field turf. Girls Soccer has tryouts on April 19th, 20th, and 21st at 3PM on the AV Football Field turf. Boys Soccer has tryouts April 22nd and 23rd at 3:30PM on the AV Football Field turf.  In addition, Boys Lacrosse starts on April 5th. 

Amador Valley Boys Lacrosse has a game Friday 4/30 against Foothill at Amador, 5/7 against San Ramon Valley at Amador, 5/11 against Monte Vista at Amador, 5/14 against California at Amador, 5/18 against Dublin at Dublin, 5/21 against Granada at Amador, 5/22 against Menlo Atherton at Amador, 5/25 against Livermore at Amador, and TBA against Foothill at Foothill. 

According to EBAL (East Bay Athletic League), sports will be played as outlined by the California Department of Health. Sports will begin their season once Alameda county reaches a specific tier that would permit the sport to be played. Orange tier sports include Boys Lacrosse, Soccer, Water Polo, Volleyball, and Badminton. Yellow tier sports include Competitive Cheer, Basketball, and Wrestling. As Alameda County has moved to the orange tier just yesterday (3/31), it is likely that we will be seeing these sports sooner rather than later.