PUSD sports camps canceled due to spike in COVID cases

The absence of sports camps leaves the school empty once again.

Jamilla Zuniga, Page Editor

All voluntary in-person camps have been paused until the end of the semester following a student-held social gathering over Thanksgiving break. The event included students from Foothill, Amador Valley, and Village High School. 

“The decision to close our camps is disheartening. However… we must take steps to prioritize the safety of all our students and staff in these programs,” said AVHS principal Mr. Butterfield and Foothill principal Mr. Bull in emails to their respective school districts. 

As of Tuesday morning, three students that were present at the gathering tested positive for COVID-19. All attendees remain unidentified. 

Since the beginning of the pandemic, social gatherings have been largely discouraged due to the potential of COVID-19 exposure and spreading. Students and parents alike must remember to remain vigilant and stick to safety guidelines regardless of personal beliefs. 

“[L]et this serve as a reminder to our community of the importance of following the health and safety guidelines from the Alameda County Public Health Department. Our collective choices to limit contact outside of our households, to wash our hands frequently, and to wear a mask play a vital role in ensuring that we can…welcome [students] back to the classroom where they belong,” said Superintendent David Haglund

Constant changes to the season and training disruptions can leave many athletes feeling frustrated or confused. However, all coaches and athletes are sure to remain focused and resilient for when sports camps resume in January. 

“At some point, [sports] will come back and whenever that is, it is our job to be ready,” said Amador cross country and track leader Coach Ozzie.