Ms. Yu is running a virtual coping skills group for students on Zoom

Ms. Yus group zoom meetings are open to all students and are a welcoming source of encouragement and relaxation.

Jamilla Zuniga

Ms. Yu’s group zoom meetings are open to all students and are a welcoming source of encouragement and relaxation.

Jamilla Zuniga

Starting at the end of September, AV support counselor Ms. Yu is hosting a series of zoom group sessions focused on teaching coping skills to students. The meetings will occur every Wednesday during the Intervention and Support period from 10:40-11:40 am.

During these uncertain times, there are a lot of negative emotions and stressors that Amador students are experiencing. 

“[It’s hard] not being able to ask my classmates for help, [and to] have individual conversations and make connections on zoom…Online learning can be pretty stressful at times,” said Sara Vannoni (‘23)

Coping skills are tools and strategies used to deal with these unwanted negativities and to better mental health. 

“[They can] help you manage difficult emotions, decrease stress and take control of a situation (that often makes you feel out of control),” said Ms. Yu

The meetings will include fun activities and opportunities to interact with others in addition to its educational premises. Students will learn skill-building and practice important techniques in a friendly and engaging group setting. 

“I wanted to emphasize the connection piece so there will be some icebreakers…just to warm things up and allow group members to learn about one another more…there will be a time to share and check-in,” said Ms. Yu

Ultimately, the sessions seek to educate and be a source of support and motivation in these troubling times. 

“I hope students will just gain some more tools in their toolbox, so that if they ever need them during a stressful time or situation, they’ll have it on hand…We [will] also get a chance to talk about how these skills work and hopefully encourage one another in group,” said Ms. Yu.