AV Boys Tennis Team Wins EBALs

Katalina Garber, Page Editor

• AV Boys Tennis

• Vedhant Kaliyur (’19)

• Aadarsh Tripathi (’22)

On Tuesday, April 23rd, the Amador varsity boys’ tennis team faced off against the Foothill falcons in their last match of the season, which would determine who would take the EBAL title. The team went into the match undefeated with a 18-0 record and came out with a 6-3 win against Foothill.

Their win was not only a great victory, but also a monumental moment. Last season, they also played against Foothill on senior night for the league title, but they ended up losing that match, so winning the league this year was a reflection of all of the hard work the team put in this season.

“Throughout the season we put a lot of time and practice in, even on days we didn’t have school as we really wanted to win the league title and leave a legacy for future teams,” said two year varsity captain Vedhant Kaliyur (‘19).

This EBAL title is the first title Amador Valley tennis has earned since 1975. It serves as a testament to the hard work that the team has been putting in to improve these past years, but especially this season.

One player who has stood out throughout the season is Aadarsh Tripathi. On Tuesday, he played a singles match against Foothill senior Shreekar Eedara. The freshman player controlled most of the match, and ended up winning his first set 6-1. Although he lost the second set (2-6), he was able to come back out on top during the last set (6-0).

“It’s really rewarding and special especially as a freshman. I am just really lucky to come into a team with a great coach and a lot of great upperclassmen who mentored me,” said Aadarsh Tripathi (‘22).

The team started its postseason at EBAL championships on April 25th and is continuing on into NCS in the coming weeks.

“We will be the number 1 seed going into NCS next week and we (as a team) plan to go about NCS the same way we won the EBAL title: just one match at a time. It’s extremely important to not get caught up in what might be or could happen , but rather focus on the present and winning the first match before even thinking of the next,” said Kaliyur.

Congrats again to the Amador varsity boys tennis team and good luck in the playoffs!