Snow on the Ridge

Back to Article
Back to Article

Snow on the Ridge

On the San Ramon ridge mountains the snow continued to fall to the point where it could be seen from miles away.

Brett Severance, Staff Writer

Extreme Weather has been occurring in the Livermore, Pleasanton, and Danville area. Two weeks ago it snowed here in Pleasanton. Up on the ridge at approximately 2:30 a.m. it snowed up to 3 inches. This may not seem like much, but it hasn’t snowed in Pleasanton in years. 

Some Amador students remember that the last time it snowed was when they were in Elementary school.

“I remember being woken up by my parents at around 6 O’clock in the morning. I just remember them saying ‘Look!’ and walking me to my balcony. I remember looking up at the ridge and seeing the smallest patch of snow. Regardless, I got pretty excited just because I didn’t think it could snow in Pleasanton,” said Aidan Mycintre (’20).

Pleasanton rests at an altitude 351 feet above sea level. This is very low for it to snow. However, it does hail occasionally here. On Saturday February 16th, it hailed hard in Danville. By the end, it looked like the ground was covered in snow. The same thing occurred in Livermore. 

“I was just sitting outside my buddy’s house when the first drop of hail hit the ground. I noticed it but didn’t think much of it. But just like that it began storming with hail. Like it would’ve been pouring rain but it all turned into huge hail. It felt as if it were a white out snow storm,” said Lucas Heverly (’19).

Livermore wasn’t the only place that had hail like that. In Danville on the same saturday, hail came down at the same ferocious velocity it had in Livermore.

Seen from all around the East Bay, Mount Diablo had reached local news due to the amount of snow on the peak. ABC 7 news captured videos of many national parks with mountains.