Highly anticipated movie releases coming summer 2024

Jocelyn (Hsin-Chiao) Hsu
As summer break approaches, there are many movies, including Inside Out 2, Fly Me to the Moon, and Despicable Me 4, expected to be released.

As summer approaches, there are many new and exciting movies releasing soon on Apple TV, Disney+, and in theaters. Audiences anticipate several new works,  including the sequels to original movies such as Inside Out and Despicable Me.  Let’s take a look at what movies we can expect to see, from thrilling adventures, twisting plots, to unforgettable scenes in the coming months. 

Inside out 2

Release Date: June 14, 2024 (theater)

Inside Out 2, the highly anticipated sequel to the original Inside Out, continues exploring the emotional adventure inside Riley’s mind. In this sequel, Riley learns to navigate the challenges through adolescence.

New characters, the emotions Anxiety, Envy, Ennui and Embarrassment, will join the existing emotions like Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear, and Disgust. Inside Out 2 explores themes of maturing, self-discovering, and the importance of managing and embracing all emotions. This summer, we will see Riley stepping into the next stage of her life. 

Despicable Me 4 

Release Date: July 3, 2024 (IMDb)

Despicable Me 4 will again be an exciting comedy sequel to the previous Despicable Me movies. This time, the Minions will be back in action with the reformed supervillain Gru. In this sequel, audiences will see Gru enjoying his life as a new father to his three adoptive girls and baby Gru. Along with the Minions, the group will once again save the day and conquer the threats they face. More hilarious chaos and amusing scenes will be revealed this summer.

Fly Me to the Moon

Release Date: July 12, 2024 (Apple TV)

Fly Me to the Moon is a romantic comedy-drama. In this movie, the audience will join the adventurous flies who sneak onto Apollo 11 in the 1960s. Filled with risks, excitement, and unexpected events, they aim to reach the moon. This film combines historical events and an imaginative storyline to introduce the journey going into space.

Descendants: Rise of Red

Release Date: July 12, 2024 (Disney+)

Descendants: Rise of Red will be a great pick if you are a fan of magic and adventures. This is one of the Descendants musical film franchises from the original Descendants released in 2015. In this upcoming episode, some of the main characters including Mal, Evie, Carlos, and Jay, will face another villain threatening the world. As tensions rise, the descendants must collaborate. With its catchy musical, costumes, and thrilling actions, Descendants: Rise of Red will for sure be an entertaining ride.