Kacie Hu (’24) does it all

Amelia Tsao
Kacie Hu (’24), balances being ASB President, DECA COF, and Varsity Basketball with school and applications as a senior.

Kacie Hu (‘24) stands as a role model and leader for Amador’s school community. Hu fills the roles of Associated Student Body President (ASB), Chief Financial Officer (CFO) for Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA), and captain of the girls varsity basketball team. All three of these programs have built Hu’s leadership skills and mastery of juggling different extracurriculars. 

ASB President

“Being ASB President is such a rewarding experience because I get to give back to the school community and work with so many interesting people. I really love the opportunities I have received through Leadership and more specifically ASB,” said Kacie Hu (’24)

Hu oversees all projects for both ASB and Amador’s leadership class rather than focusing on one project. Whether it’s coordinating with administration or helping organize a school event, Hu is always there to help her fellow students. She talks with clubs, community organizations, and school staff to ensure that everything runs smoothly.

“[Kacie] is very hands-on, very organized, and very good at sticking to deadlines. She is super driven and goal-oriented. She does a good job of getting to know everyone; she’s a good mentor to [underclassmen in leadership],” said ASB Treasurer Sydney Head (’24).

Instead of perfecting big projects, Hu works on strengthening the skills of her fellow leadership students. With this, she hopes to not only improve the leadership program but also Amador’s community overall. Hu has found her role as ASB president to be extremely applicable for the future in college and the workforce as a leader herself. 

“I’ve become more open-minded, caring, and things like that that are super important soft skills for personal growth. Being in Leadership has probably made the biggest impact in my character growth and just preparing me for the future in general,” said Hu

Varsity Basketball Captain

Hu started her basketball career as a freshman during the pandemic, soon making varsity as an upperclassman. This program gave her an outlet to meet new friends and people she normally wouldn’t have met through her classes; even Hu’s closest friends to date. Basketball has assisted in her leadership growth plus getting a good workout.

“Varsity was very character building I feel like, because I just got more hardworking, developed a stronger mentality, and everything that really helped me grow,” said Hu.  

DECA Chief Financial Officer

As the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), Hu is responsible for ensuring that everyone on the DECA team can attend the conferences. She does this by working out payments, which play a key role in the program’s success. She also acts as a leader for new members by making sure that they can be involved with the program.

“Even though I’m an officer, I still have to compete and stuff and I spent a lot of time working on just competitive success in general which I think paid off over the past 3 years,” said Hu

Through her improvements over the years in the DECA program, Hu has been able to receive 2nd place at the States Career Development Conference (SCDC) 2023 in Hotel Lodging Management, and individual roleplay event, and top 20 at International Career Development Conference (ICDC) 2023 in Hotel Lodging Management, and Hu qualified for the International conference 3 years in a row. 

“She’s a very passionate leader who loves to get involved with the community in any way she can. I’ve looked up to her as a hustler and hard worker for all that she does. I’m thankful to have met and worked with such a dedicated student on our campus. I can’t wait to see how far she goes after Amador!” said DECA President Anisha Madiraju (‘24).

Balancing It All

While Hu does have all three aspects of her life to juggle including school and college applications, she has found that her life sounds more stressful than it is. With four years of experience, Hu can work well with time management and planning for future tasks. Even when being overwhelmed, Hu finds it worth the time and effort in the end. 

“I really really love being involved and that’s really helped me with getting to where I am now. Just sticking with what I know I’m good at and what I’m passionate about has really reflected well,” said Hu

• At Kacie Hu’s senior DECA conference, Hu poses with the medal she won for being an overall finalist at the International Career Development Conference (ICDC) 2023 in the Hotel Lodging Management event.

• Senior Kacie Hu posing in her varsity uniform and with a basketball for annual sports portraits.