Amador hosts 2024 annual Donversity Rally

Leo He
2024 Donversity Rally MC Olivia Medinas (’24) keeps the audience engaged and excited with a free t-shirt throw.

On Friday, Feb. 23, Amador hosted its annual Donversity Rally. The event celebrates Amador students’ diverse backgrounds. Students were dazzled by fast-paced dances and elegant performances, including a ballet and ukulele sing-along.

“There were a lot of dance teams and the music went hard. Lots of clubs put their hard work on display and they all did really well,” said Vansh Chahabra (‘25).

The reception to the rally was very positive, and many students praised the variety of shows and good music.

“That rally was one of the best ones I’ve been to at Amador. Along with all the different groups showing their different cultures and backgrounds, Amador culture also showed up in a grand fashion” said Kaustuhb Lole (‘25).

The rally also featured two ballet performances by Katherine Foster (‘24) and Isabel Lim (‘26). The two were the only solo performances and the student audience greatly enjoyed both.

“Katherine Foster is a senior this year and she came to us and asked us if she could be a part of it. And we were really excited to have her do it. Isabel Lim is a student in leadership, and she asked if she could be a part of it too,” said Taylor Cohn (‘25), who oversaw rally planning.

Behind the Scenes

Planning for the rally started months earlier, with AV Leadership working closely with the Journalism class to ensure all programs ran smoothly.

“We started planning this around mid to late December. The past few months has really just been a lot of, making posters for the rally, preparing all the teams, audios and performances and making sure that everything was in order,” said Cohn.

Beloved classics such as Bollywood, Dance Team, and Mr. Amador starred in the rally. The event also featured performances by the Korean Culture Club, Black Student Union, ELD Club, and Ukulele Club. There was also the annual parade of flags.

“Through our performance, we wanted to showcase musical diversity. The ukulele is so adaptable to any musical style. It can be picked up by anyone regardless of their musical background, and many came into the club with no musical experience,” said Ziyan Liu (‘24), president of Ukulele Club.

To focus on the theme of diversity, rally planners incorporated performances showing the unity of many different peoples.

“We added a couple things into this year’s rally. There’s the new ELD club, for one, students who are still learning English. We also added on a grip dance at the end to show everyone coming together and showing off one school,” said Cohn.

The preparations reached their most hectic the day of the rally. The rally committee worked around the clock to deal with setbacks as soon as they came up.

“We start at 7:30 in the morning on the day of the rally. One of the big challenges was that this is the only rally we have that’s indoors. And a big problem that came up was our sound system in the gym broke a week or two before the rally,” said Cohn.

Overall, the rally was well-received and the Donversity Committee’s hard work paid off.

“It seemed like the crowd really loved [the performances]. It was very memorable for me personally, too, just being able to watch it all come together,” said Cohn.

Check out the Donversity Rally Photo Story here!