Sahil Mehta (’24) is Tri-Valley 2040 Regional Visionary Awardee

Sahil Mehta
Sahil Mehta (’24), third from the right, is recognized with the 2040 Regional Visionary Award with his Tri-Valley team.

As the epicenter of solutions to climate change in the Tri-Valley region, Sahil Mehta (’24) is recognized with the Tri-Valley 2040 Regional Visionary Award. 

Starting out

“As part of the Livermore Youth Climate Summit, we wanted to share and promote the beliefs that drove our actions. We are inspiring and educating youth across the Tri-Valley to take action and make a real impact against climate change,” said Mehta

Throughout this event, Mehta and his team came up with ways to raise awareness of climate change in the community. 

“Our group was responsible for leading the first inaugural Livermore Youth Climate Summit. It attracted approximately 200 attendees from around the Tri-Valley. We focused on increasing youth awareness, enabling meaningful action, and creating a community among like-minded youth,” said Mehta

While everything seems to go smoothly, it comes to the real challenge when the team tries to coordinate with organizations. Mehta appreciates the help from his mentors with planning for future events.  

“The most challenging part for me might have been coordinating the different activities and the schedule for the summit. But we were lucky to have some amazing mentors from Quest Science Center, Tri-Valley Air Quality Climate Alliance, and more to help us with the event and beyond,” said Mehta

Passionate about Change

The support from other students and adults in Tri-Valley had always motivated Mehta to fuel his passion. With this pace, he believed that the community would no doubt make a great impact on slowing down climate change. 

“It was really amazing to see how passionate our youth population is in fighting climate change. I sincerely believe the Tri-Valley area can become a world leader in combating climate change,” said Mehta

There are multiple ongoing projects Mehta and his Tri-Valley team are working to initiate. In the short term, he hopes to see the impact they could have on the environment going into the future.

“We have a bunch of different upcoming initiatives from school climate literacy resolutions and waste audits to heat-mapping the city of Livermore or conducting energy efficiency research with respect to lighting and environmental restoration. I’m really excited to see it come to fruition,” said Mehta.