Diwali: Pleasanton families celebrate Hindu festival

Rishit Agnihotri
Friends and family rents out an area to meet and enjoy the holiday in their cultural clothing.

In early November, many households celebrated the Festival of Lights, also known as Diwali. Families and friends practiced traditions and enjoyed many festivities.

What is Diwali?

Diwali, a five-day Hindu festival, begins with Dhanteras, emphasizing wealth. Naraka Chaturdashi signifies light’s triumph over darkness. Diwali itself illuminates homes, exchanging gifts and enjoying festive meals. Govardhan Puja honors Lord Krishna, and Bhai Dooj celebrates sibling bonds. Families clean, decorate light lamps, burst fireworks, and share joyous moments.

Preserving culture

Throughout Pleasanton, people opened up their houses and invited people over to celebrate together.

“It has been part of our family culture to participate in Diwali festivities as much as possible. Cleaning up our houses and lighting up candles is only part of a larger celebration. We celebrate the idea that good will triumph over evil, especially without family,” said AV parent Rachna Agnihotri.

Friends and families reunited over the weekend in small parties to celebrate the Hindu holiday. Organizations hosted many of their celebrations, where people could dine and visit vendors through admissions.

“My favorite part of the Diwali celebration is the food and gift giving with the families that visit. It’s not that common to have so many people that you know visit you, so it’s really fun to actually meet and have fun with them. We hold small parties throughout Diwali, which makes it that much more fun,” said Sarvesh Sivaraman (‘26).

With a rapidly growing Indian community in the Tri-Valley bringing in its diverse culture, Diwali is becoming a popular festival for all to enjoy. Throughout the campus, people dressed in their cultural attire and represented their cultural homage through gift-giving. 

“Throughout the years I’ve been here, I have definitely seen a growing number of people lighting up their houses and having larger parties. It’s really nice to see the diverse growth of a festival I love to celebrate,” said a University of California Davis student Desiree Bishnoi.