​​Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour becomes major blockbuster at the box office

Alyssa Vu
Regal Cinemas displays Taylor Swift’s picture to advertise her movie

Following her record-breaking tour, celebrated pop icon Taylor Swift released an equally record-breaking documentary of tour footage.

The documentary, titled Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour was set to premier on Friday, Oct. 13, but after unprecedented demand, they pushed back the debut to Thursday, Oct. 12, creating more showtimes.

In just under 24 hours, the film made $100 million in advance ticket sales, shattering AMC’s U.S. record for the highest ticket-sales revenue in a single day. The Eras movie also swiftly joined the ranks of the few movies receiving a 100 percent Rotten Tomato score. The movie’s runtime is two hours and forty-eight minutes with forty out of the original forty-five songs from her setlist.

About the Film

With the film’s colossal success, many wonder what about it draws in millions of fans (including those who have attended her live concert). The movie is devoid of any behind-the-scenes, warm-up, or interview clips typical of a concert documentary.

Instead, the film features Swift as she performs songs from each of her “eras,” or studio albums. Watching the movie is much like attending the tour, except with a better view of the high-quality stage production, visual effects, and performance. 

With the exception of her debut album Taylor Swift, the singer-songwriter takes the audience through the entirety of her discography, opening with her seventh album Lover and ending with her latest release Midnights

The documentary was filmed at the closing nights of the tour, which was at the SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California. Swift was able to cherry pick her best performances on the big screen, because she filmed for six nights.

Why Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour?

Swift is famous for her struggle to own her own music, and many see Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour as a reclamation of every era of her life, which sends an inspiring message to audiences around the world. 

The main appeal of the movie is accessibility because high demand and extremely high ticket prices originally hijacked many fans’ opportunity to attend the concert in person. While Swift’s huge fanbase has loved the opportunity to experience the second highest grossing concert in history, the show’s extremely long runtime as well as its singular focus on the performance makes it ill-suited for those who aren’t Swift’s fans.

The movie is currently being played at local theaters such as Regal, Livermore 13, and THE LOT City Center, and it is expected to hit streaming services in the future.