Coming soon to your digital wallet: California DMV begins testing digital driver’s licenses

A+digital+drivers+license+owner+cruises+in+his+car+through+his+neighborhood.+
Diego Sapriza
A digital driver’s license owner cruises in his car through his neighborhood.

The California DMV is introducing digital driver’s licenses, offering residents a modern alternative to traditional physical licenses. The DMV emphasizes eliminating security flaws with this new system but it is only available at TSA airport screenings

“I look forward to not having to worry about forgetting my license if I go out somewhere that doesn’t need my wallet, such as a school event or when I don’t need to drive. Although I’d expect people will take passionate sides on what these can do with how safe they actually are, but for people that travel a lot, they seem pretty helpful in TSA pre-checks, ” said Aimee Sitter (‘24).

Currently, the new digital driver’s license is only available for adults 18 or above who currently own a physical license. As of Sept. 2023, more than 100,000 people across the state have signed up for the pilot of this new system, but this number is expected to increase as the technology develops. .. 

“It would be great if they can be used for everything the same way we’re using physical driver’s licenses. Like the same way we used the COVID vaccination cards on our phones,” said digital license owner, Diego Sapriza Munoz.

Eventually, residents will also be able to use it as a form of identification to the police or when purchasing alcoholic beverages.

“I think all these transitions are hard in general. Like I still use my phone to pay, but I still have my physical credit card with me. I’d say the same thing is going to happen with the driver’s licenses, I don’t think I would leave my driver’s license at home nowadays and just use the digital one. But I can see a time in the near future where people will just leave their physical licenses at home and rely on their phone’s digital license, ” said Sapriza.