High Life Art Exhibition offers high schoolers the chance to express themselves through their art

The+High+Life+Art+Exhibit+is+advertising+through+flyers+with+a+scannable+QR+code%2C+which+leads+to+an+interest+form.+

Edwin He

The High Life Art Exhibit is advertising through flyers with a scannable QR code, which leads to an interest form.

The High Life Art Exhibition will feature student-submitted art from all across Alameda County. The gallery will take place inside the Wave facility in Emerald Glen Park on Sep. 19, 2023. 

The Dublin Art Collective is working with Lapis Lazuli, a student-run nonprofit art club, to prepare for the event. Food will be provided for attendees, and prizes sponsored by Keypoint Credit Union for talented artists. 

“It’s just a really cool environment. We have food. We have a lot of people there. You can meet people who are interested in the same thing that you are,” said Chloe Rong (’25), Secretary of the Lapis Lazuli Club.

Young artists can have difficulty bringing attention to their art. The High Life Art Exhibition is designed to give high school artists the recognition they deserve. Almost any form of art is accepted. 

“We take 2D and 3D art. Honestly, anything that you can create can be featured. It could be paintings, drawings, photography, ceramics, sculptures, or stuff like that,” said Angela Qian (’25), Co-founder of Lapis Lazuli. 

The exhibition is part of a larger festival called Splatter, an annual event run by the City of Dublin. Attendees can visit the art gallery. Then, they can go play carnival games and ride the attractions. 

“[The event] is limited to high schoolers only. It goes from around noon to five, so it’s not the entire day of the festival, but it’s a good share of it,” said Julia Tomtania, board member of the Dublin Arts Collective. 

The event is in its early stages, but artists can fill out a form if they are interested in their art being displayed. The Dublin Art Collective will post updates on its website and social media

“We start accepting art in August. We set up the art, and then high schoolers can come during [the event], and they can showcase their art,” said Tomtania. 

Not only can young artists showcase their art to their peers but also to leading figures in the community. Artists get to meet important people participating as judges for the exhibit. 

“[High schoolers] can introduce their art to even the Mayor of Dublin and the supervisor of Alameda County. It’s a really exciting time to showcase talent in our community,” said Tomtania.

Through this event, the Dublin Art Collective wants to convey the message that art matters, not just for professionals but for students too. They believe that all art is unique and that all art deserves to be recognized. 

“I think the best thing about putting your art out there is that you have an opportunity to show who you are. Art is a representation of yourself. [To showcase it] creates confidence in the artists,” said Tomtania