Choir shows they have “Heart” with first annual pop show

Aimee Sitter

The entire choir opens the show, singing “Heart” from the musical Damn Yankees.

Aimee Sitter, Senior Staff Writer

On Wednesday, May 3, Amador’s choir performed their first annual Pop Show, “You Gotta Have Heart.” They started the show off with a combined opener of concert and chamber choir, singing Heart from the musical Damn Yankees. 

“The Pop Show is something that the choir students at my previous school enjoyed putting on every year. For some students and the community, it was their favorite production of the year. Even though we sing a lot of classic choir literature, I myself enjoy a lot of pop music, and I think singing pop music teaches some valuable skills. We performed a wide range of songs, from 60’s doo-wop and Broadway to Ed Sheeran, Shakira, and more. Student soloists also covered a wide range of performers, from Whitney Houston to Taylor Swift ” said choir director Shelley Durbin.

Featured performances include a cappella groups and soloists such as Lanie Win (‘25) with Wait for It from Hamilton and Saesha Sharda (‘24) with I Have Nothing by Whitney Houston. Concert choir performed Try Everything by Shakira, the CresendBros performed Jesse’s Girl by Rick Springfield and the Conversation Hearts performed Count on Me by Bruno Mars. 

“We were preparing for this performance concurrently with working on our CMEA contest music, so we had to spin multiple wheels at once. Soloists auditioned several weeks before the show. A lot of the preparation involved figuring out the logistics of song order, performer placement, MC transitions, and sound engineering” said Durbin.

Throughout the show, MC’s Bennet Rebello (‘24), Ishi Sinha (‘24) and Anna Feitelberg (‘24) made jokes about hearts and introduced the next acts. They also performed a skit in the middle of the show, finding the songs inside of everyone’s hearts. The last show choir will perform this year will be their joint Spring Concert with orchestra on May 18.