Amador students on impact of Erling Haaland breaking Premier League single-season goal record

Jaylon Shaghasi

Atheeth Ravikrishnan (‘24) watching Erling Haaland score his record breaking goal.

Jaylon Shaghasi, Staff Writer

Erling Haaland broke the record after scoring 35 goals in a single Premier League season, breaking the record in all competitions and in the Premier League. He passed Andy Cole and Alan Shearer on May 3, 2023, who were the previous record holders.

Erling Haaland is just 22 years of age, making him a great inspiration for young soccer players around the world, including high school players and soccer fans at Amador.

“It was just really inspirational and it really amazed me when Erling Haaland broke the record. The fact that he is just 22 years old, only five years older than me, makes me think to myself that if he can do it, maybe someday I can,” said Mason Hoerz (‘24)

Andy Cole was the first player to set the record of 34 goals during the 1994-95 Premier League season, and Alan Shearer tied Shearer’s record during that same season.

“Alan Shearer and Andy Cole’s seasons were very impressive, but for Haaland to outshine them only at the age of 22 makes me wonder if Haaland is really good, or were Alan Shearer and Andy Cole just mediocre,” said Ilya Alekseev (‘23).

This record has inspired young soccer players all over the world. Watching Erling Haaland win this prestigious award at such a young age inspires soccer players to go and chase their dreams. 

“It is honestly just quite unbelievable to see these young players like Kylian Mbappe, Erling Haaland, Vinicius Junior, Jamal Musiala, and many of these other young players breaking records that seemed impossible to break before. These players are all below 25 years old, and for them to be breaking records that only players like Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi can break, it shows how bright the future of soccer is,” said Hoerz.