TUPE holds Take Down Tobacco booth to inform about substance abuse

Olivia Vollgraf

Students gathered around the C building to check out the Take Down Tobacco booth.

Olivia Vollgraf, Staff Writer

TUPE, Tobacco Usage Prevention Education, is a club at Amador that intends to bring Tobacco and Drug use awareness to the school and student body. On April 20, TUPE set up a table at lunch for their Take Down Tobacco event to continue to spread awareness about substance abuse. 

“I think that this just provides, a more engaging way for people to access the information that they need, and it gives us a way to expose more people to the harmful effects of substance abuse,”said TUPE club member Dhruvi Shah (‘25).

The activity’s intention was to get the attention of students to visit their booth and see what TUPE is all about. From a spinning wheel to candy prizes, the club set up games that students could play that would teach them about substance abuse.

“I think that the school activities are a good way to promote TUPE because where else would we get this information. I think it is good to start spreading its awareness,” said Madison Perkins (‘24).

On a greater scale, TUPE’s goal is to spread awareness and prevent the use of drugs on and off campus. The club puts on spirit weeks and lunch activities throughout the year. These events tend to get a lot of attention from students and staff. 

“We are peer educators, part of TUPE, and our goal is to bring awareness and educate our fellow youth about the harms of tobacco use. We hope to bring awareness and reduce the use of tobacco use in our community, and substance abuse as a whole,” said Lekha Anand (‘25).