Amador students make their picks for the NBA playoffs

Provided by Ali Ulusu

Ali Ulusu (‘23) attending a Golden State Warriors game along with his friend Mikail Mirza (‘23) and brother Furkan Ulusu (‘24).

As the NBA playoffs begin, basketball fans around campus enjoy tuning in to watch the different team matchups. Students either support their favorite teams or teams that their favorite players go for. 

The Golden State Warriors are an on campus favorite because they are located in San Francisco. The Golden State Warriors’ odds to win The Finals according to Vegas is currently set at +1200.

“I like the Golden State Warriors because I have been a fan since 2010. I am excited to see how far the Warriors can make it, but more importantly, I am very excited to see how the Warriors can play against the Sacramento Kings. I think the Warriors can beat the Kings and go all the way,” said Mikail Mirza (‘23). 

The Lakers are a California team with a large fanbase throughout the state, playing in Los Angeles. The Los Angeles Lakers’ Vegas odds to win the NBA Finals is currently at +1600.

“I like the Los Angeles Lakers. I think the LeBron James and Anthony Davis duo will be an unstoppable force in the paint and in the mid range. Anthony Davis has been down to Earth unstoppable this season, and I don’t think anybody is getting in the way of them,” said Jaxson Harris (‘25).

Teachers on campus also watch the NBA playoffs, supporting their favorite teams as well. Many teachers grew up around or in the Bay Area, making them very big Warriors fans since they were young.

“Hypothetically, I think the Warriors could make the finals. But with everything that has gone on this season, it looks less and less likely that the things that need to happen will break their way. In the west, I would say the Nuggets, and the Suns if they can figure out how to play with KD,” said economics and psychology teacher Robert Palmer.

Bigger basketball and overall sports fans around campus have their own opinions of who is going to win the NBA Finals with the use of statistics and overall basketball IQ.

“The way that the Milwaukee Bucks play the game of basketball is so much more efficient and overall just better than the way other teams play. For the Bucks to be able to stay in close games without their star player and former two time MVP, Giannis Antetekounmpo, it makes me wonder how far they can go with him,” said Varsity basketball player Alex Liu.