Club Profile: International Advanced Math Society

Jocelyn (Hsin-Chiao) Hsu

Many students attend the mock final exam and get extra help from the Math Club before the final math exams.

The Amador Valley Math Club, as known as International Advanced Math Society (IntMAS), provides a comfortable environment for students who need extra help on math. 

“Since we are the Advanced Math Society not the math team, we really try to make math approachable and enjoyable and support them no matter their current math level, or whether they have previous experience or not. We really want everyone to just enjoy math for what it is and not feel too stressed out when they are doing math,” said Ishan Joshi (‘24), Co-President of IntAMS. 

The club was created after remote learning. The club founders Ramki Krish(‘24) and Ishan Joshi (‘24) reached out to students who felt disconnected coming back to school from the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“Over the summer of our sophomore year, we realized that there were a lot of people who needed help with math. I also sometimes seek out my friends for help on math. Especially coming out from online learning, students are disconnected from the classrooms and they need help reaching out to people. At the time, I was thinking that there isn’t a club at Amador that specifically provides help with math to people, so I decided to create the club and help people,” said Ramki Krish(‘24), Co-President of IntAMS. 

Besides getting help with math, many students believe that they gained confidence in performing math skills through attending the club. 

“This club has helped me gain confidence in my math skills and also helped me think about the problem we worked on and understand the concept more,” said Lalith Sasubilli(‘24), a member of IntAMS.

Tutors at the math club spend extra time after school with personalized materials for every student depending on their current math level. 

“We have many dedicated tutors here and personalized curriculum for everyone. We are always available every Tuesday in room D-4 from 3:30-4:15. We offer any type of help related to math,” said Krish.

The IntMAS officers explain and discuss math concepts with their members. (Jocelyn (Hsin-Chiao) Hsu)

Officers of IntMAS formulate the best way to help students ace the exam. They create practices based on strategies and their previous experience that teachers cannot provide. 

“Since me and many other officers had taken the exam, which is something teachers cannot do obviously, we have a little bit more insights on certain types of questions that we noticed are repeated on the exams. We make sure to include that experience in creating those exams. They will be available for students in their preparation, and we have additional concept explanations” said Joshi.

Many students appreciate the resources given out by the math club, especially the mock final exam.

“Our mock finals have always been a hit. We have a lot of members show up for it and it has always been helpful because our staff uses their previous experiences taking that class and the finals to make our mock finals to be really similar. So it gives a lot of help to students who are in that class,” said Krish.

The math club brings a positive outcome for students at Amador. 

“I think this club provides a really great option and opportunity for students to get extra help on math and practice, especially for preparing for difficult AP finals and tests. It usually gets busy here, and many students reflect that it’s a helpful program for them,” said Math Club Advisor, Tim Sakogawa.