Amador Drama puts on Mamma Mia spring musical with Foothill

Sophie Pereira

The cast and crew of Mamma Mia go through curtain call at the end of the performance.

Sophie Pereira, Staff Writer

With the opening show on March 10, Amador Valley and Foothill High School have kicked off their performances of the annual Spring Musical Mamma Mia, a musical created by Judy Cramer. The show is going to be put on six different times, with some roles being double casted. Students have put effort into preparing for the musical through rehearsals. 

“[It took] three months of work [to prepare for the musical]. It was a lot…What I did was memorize lines and then add different emotions to it,” said Pepper’s character Camden Nauroth (‘24).

Not only did the musical have live singing, it also had a live orchestra that brought the music directly to the audience. Behind the scenes, the stage crew and tech put time and effort into making the show run smoothly. Without them, the musical would not be able to run.

“We had two weeks of tech week [on top of] three months of rehearsal, so essentially I just studied the script a lot and made sure I knew what people were doing on stage…I get to tell people where to go and what to do. I control lights and curtains and disco balls and whatnot,” said Stage Manager Ishi Sinha (‘24). 

With months of preparation, there was a lot of pressure on the cast on opening night. Though there were moments when the cast felt overwhelmed, their performance showed how they were able to power through. 

The first performance was good. There were a few things here and there but overall I think it was really good. It was definitely the best it’s ever been,” said Nauroth. 

Many of the students have created lasting friendships and memories with the other cast and crew.    

“Honestly it doesn’t feel like that long because you’re with a good group of people and form good friendships,” said Nauroth. 

There was anticipation leading up to the big night. All three nights over the first weekend were completely sold out. The tickets ranged in pricing with students being fifteen dollars and adults being twenty dollars. 

“[Opening night] was fantastic. The kids were amazing, the crowd was really good, and the energy was great. I think it was awesome,” said Drama Teacher Mr. Johnston. 

In the show, you could hear songs like Voulez-Vou and Does Your Mother Know. The show itself was two and a half hours. Some of Amadors own could be seen as the main roles with Veronica Pascual as Sophie, Sebastian Civetta as Bill, Garrison Garcia as Harry, Nadia Brown as Rosie, and Aech Vanderbilt as Tanya. 

Tickets can still be bought for March 17,18, or 19, through Firehouse Arts Center.