How are AV students getting scholarships?

Ian Cha

There are several options for students to find scholarships, including College Board’s Scholarship Search.

Ian Cha

College tuition can take a heavy financial toll on students and their families. Fortunately, there are many different scholarships available for seniors.

“In 2020-21… about seven in ten families relied on scholarships and grants to fund a student’s education,” said education writer Courtney Smith-Kimble.

Government-awarded grants acquirable by filling out the FAFSA, are given to those in the most financial need. On the other hand, scholarships often offered by schools and other organizations, are distributed by merit, of which there are many types.

“I have an athletic scholarship for water polo… I got an offer from the coach, and then I signed an NLI,” said Evelyn Mclaughlin (‘23).

Besides athletic scholarships, there are academic, community service, demographic, and creative scholarships. Students can choose which scholarships to apply for based on their individual strengths and interests.

“The biggest thing I applied for was the National Merit Scholarship… you have to take the PSAT and get in the 99th percentile. From there, when you’re applying to colleges, you must write an essay and get a letter of recommendation and an activity list,” said Aryaditya Lankipalle (‘23).

There are many ways for students to find scholarships, such as through an Amador counselor or a private college counselor. In addition, websites such as BestColleges and Cappex can help students find the scholarships best suited for them.

“There’s definitely a lot of scholarship websites. I know CollegeBoard has one, it’s called Scholarship Search, and you can find scholarships through that… One scholarship that comes to mind is Big Future. That’s one a lot of people can apply to,” said Pranav Subbaraman (‘23).

With so many scholarship opportunities available, students must plan carefully to set themselves up for success. Experts recommend a variety of steps, such as improving one’s GPU and  SAT/ACT score, volunteer work, and working on essay writing skills.

“You should put the time into the scholarships you think you have a good shot of and fit the target demographic. Also, being diligent with your college essays and writing essays that mean a lot to you can help,” said Lankipalle.

Amid rising college tuition, scholarships remain an important tool for students to reduce the costs of education. The effort of earning a scholarship is well worth it, as a college degree can be invaluable in helping students grow their careers.

“Just be confident applying and keep applying, and maybe one scholarship will work for you in the end,” said Subbaraman.