Angad Bhargav (’24) codes new, versatile Student Portal

For+Angad+Bhargav+%2824%29%2C+the+ability+to+code+is+a+superpower.+

Amishi Jha

For Angad Bhargav (’24), “the ability to code is a superpower.”

For Angad Bhargav (‘24), with the ability to code comes the ability to solve a limitless set of problems. Bhargav creates new, rising apps to aid students, most notably BetterQ and StudyKit

BetterQ is a grade tracker similar to Q Connection, with features that show attendance, documents, demographics, how students have improved throughout the semester, the average grade for each category in a class, and weighted and unweighted GPAs.

“The layout of all the grades and the statistics (on BetterQ) are a lot better because everything is just laid out in front of me, and you can also see your progress over time. It feels more accessible and comfortable to use than normal Q,” said Ella Jeon (‘25).

The layout of BetterQ (right) improves on the functionality, aesthetic, and efficiency of Q portal (left). (Amishi Jha)

Bhargav started coding when he was in fourth grade, but only gained interest when he joined Amador’s Robotics and UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) club. In his sophomore year, Bhargav realized his passion for programming his own projects and wanted a better version of Q that had more accessible features.

“I was thinking if I could create something that can just read from the data on its webpage and present it on a new UI, there would be a lot of use,” said Bhargav.

With the help of friends and teachers, he learned HTML, CSS, and JavaScript and was able to create an alternate platform for students to check their grades.

“A lot of the stuff I wanted to do I didn’t know (how to), so for me, it was just a lot of googling and research to figure out what had to be done. Also, I had to figure out a way to create it, so that I (could) respect the privacy of people,” said Bhargav.

Bhargav believes coding has changed the world, and many inventions today are only possible because of coding.

“I think errors are the reason coding is so rewarding. An error is just an obstacle, and overcoming that obstacle leaves you with a better understanding of how to code, and stronger problem-solving skills in general,” said Bhargav.

Bhargav uses Nuxt, a free and open source JavaScript library for his project, and hopes to add more features to BetterQ and his other project, StudyKit.

“People will try to get into coding, but they waste their time trying to memorize concepts…and syntax is actually creating things they find enjoyable and applying concepts they are learning because in the process of just memorizing syntax they lose the reason behind why they are trying to code,” said Bhargav.

He plans to major in computer science and wants to improve his current projects, so students can make use of it better, and he is open to any projects that come his way.

“I plan on implementing all the pages in Q, adding support for Parent Portal, and expanding the service to all districts using Q, not just PUSD,” said Bhargav.